About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
First aid
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, remember vaguely that I have got a good book on animal first aid. Shall have a look for it and get back to you.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, the two aren't that different. Just a reminder of the first rule of first aid, which is keep yourself out out of danger - you're no good to casualties if your a casulty too!

We had an emergency trip to the vets when one of dogs ate loft insulation! And collies are meant to be intelligent!

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two books for animal first aid, though neither are specifically for stock animals. Not sure if still in print, here goes anyway

'First Aid for Pets' by Robert W. Kirk, D.V.M., published by Pelham Books, 1978 ISBN 0 7207 1133 9 (bought in UK)

'Care for the Wild' by W.J. Jordan and John Hughes, published by (my favorite charity) Care for the Wild, 1982 ISBN 0 356 08556 2
www.careforthewild.org (can't see book on their site, but enquire anyway)

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have various first aid books for horses - and a well stocked first aid box - but I think it would be useful to have a book relating to hen problems - as we are about to get ours on Wednesday.

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judy, I'll have a look out for those and let you know if I pick them up or anything else interesting. I imagine that a reasonable amount of things can be transferred from animal to animal.

Gertie, have you had a look at the Victoria Roberts book? I'm not sure though, if it only deals with diseases, or also injuries. It was issued so long ago though that I wonder if there will be a newer issue.

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Bugs. I'll check up on that, it would certainly be useful - I'd rather be prepared for any little problem we may encounter on the way. Mind you, I'm still remembering your incident with Treacle (will put armoured gloves and goggles on my list!!!)

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after I put up the origanl post today I went out to the greenhouse and put a skewer through my finger. It was a very nice clean cut, couldn't have done it better if I'd tried. Treacle has already tried to peck off the plaster twice. No need for beware of the Rottweiler signs round her

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs, now I'm not one to nag (despite what Lundy says) but - is your tetanus jab up to date. 'Cos you don't want your finger to drop off now, do you.

Regarding cuts - one of the worst things that happened to me was when I got a tiny scratch on my finger and within a couple of days it had ballooned up and was infected - turned out I had got something horrible from the muck heap into my finger which set off a very nice infection - actually the stuff that came out was quite similar in colour to the background of the google ads.

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, and what an attractive hue it is too

Don't worry Gertie, both of us went for tetanus boosters when we moved here 0 you only need them every 10 years or so, don't you? And I cleaned it up and plastered it straight away. The skewer was straight out of the cutlery drawer too, so nothing too nasty on it. Only the best injuries in our house, dahlinks

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've just remembered Bugs, I'll be due for mine next year - will not forget this time, otherwise it's a course of 3 injections - which I'm not too keen on!!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
We had an emergency trip to the vets when one of dogs ate loft insulation! And collies are meant to be intelligent!

I do hope s/he was ok. Did the vet just tell you to keep him warm.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not funny - he's fine, though!

On an even less funny note, I burnt myself on a rasin taking a hot cross bun out of the toaster this morning. Himself has been chuckling all day over my currant burn!

And before anyone says in, yes it was hot and I was cross!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 05 6:59 pm    Post subject: first aid Reply with quote

we have a bit of an animal first aid box which includes flexible bandage that sticks to itself (the blue stuff you can use for horses) and some duck tape which you also use for horses....there's germoline and some poultices, a set of t-shirts to put on merlin the greyhound because he is always hurting himself somehow, a buster collar which merlin wears frequently and the most important thinkg of all which is that new skin stuff.

when we had our great dane, she cut the end of her tail which of course she wagged and the centrifugal force meant the house looked like a scene from ta chainsaw massacre. we tried everything - we bandaged it, we bandaged it again and then put a finger stool over it, we bandaged it again and put a rubber glove finger over it well 10 of them actually but kept finding pink things in the garden full of something rather unsavoury. we cut the neck end off an orange squash bottle and taped that over the tail to protect it but of course when she wagged, she either wagged it off or it made a huge ka-chunga noise when it banged against something. we even got a giant size buster collar which we put on her to keep her off it which frankly traumatised her so much that she sat in the middle of the living room and thought she was a standard lamp.

in complete and utter desperation (believe me !) i stuck the end of her tail in a bottle of new skin. glory be !! she didn't like the taste so didn't lick it and it was sealed up so she couldnm't breakl it open.

wish i had thought of it 3 weeks earlier.

have successfully used it since on the cat that kept licking herself although we had to pull her off the ceiling as it stings a bit . a friend of ours has also used it on a cut on her horses nose that the flies kept getting to so i advise this in your first aid kit

sorry went on a bit there...............

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive