About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Odd weekend foraging
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 07 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed some that overhang from peoples trees on to a lane not sure i'm aloud to pick

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 07 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco wrote:
I've noticed some that overhang from peoples trees on to a lane not sure i'm aloud to pick

Knock on the front door and ask. Don't ask, don't get

cinders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 07 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't do that i'm shy and

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 07 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco wrote:

go on - decide what you'd like to make, tell them and offer them some of your produce in return for being allowed to pick the fruit.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 07 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgewitch wrote:
Eco wrote:

go on - decide what you'd like to make, tell them and offer them some of your produce in return for being allowed to pick the fruit.

Sometimes they'll even present you with a big bag of fruit they're struggling to get through in return for a jar of jam or bottle of wine.

cinders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 07 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds a good idea Now i need to experiment on wine and jam making. Guess i'll need some guinea pigs

skedone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 07 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me about it mate finding fruit every were but the fungi i find are dead before fully grown i think its the mad weather its cold and wet one min then hot so the fungi is popping up coz of temp drop but then sun is killing them . prime example i found 12 dead parasols today about 1 quarter there size , the reason the temp dropped for 2 days with heavy rain but now its like a min of 20c which is far to hot for them.

as for the fruit if it over hangs public area it is legal to pick but better to ask i used to be shy about it at first but u will be amazed i have made many a new friend since i now ask for permission

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 07 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab
To be getting blackberries you are months ahead of us.

cinders

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 07 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next week i'm going out foraging and will attempt to ask permission to pick the over hanging fruit

MarkS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 07 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skedone wrote:
as for the fruit if it over hangs public area it is legal to pick

Where do you get that from ?

If branches overhang then the landowner they overhang on has the right to cut them back BUT the branches cut MUST be given back to the owner of the trees. I'm not aware of any law that allows you to take fruit. In fact I was sure that it is theft.

edit: In fact last year it was all over the papers when someone picked some fruit and made three jars of jam and were prosecuted.

skedone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 07 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got that info from 2 people last year 1 being a lawyer and one being chief inspector of local police station(friend of family) . so i am repeating what they told me but like i say i always ask i even make sure i have permission now days at local woods when im mush hunting

mimborin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 07 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
edit: In fact last year it was all over the papers when someone picked some fruit and made three jars of jam and were prosecuted.

Was it a successful prosecution though?

MarkS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 07 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mimborin wrote:
MarkS wrote:

Was it a successful prosecution though?

Yes.

dougal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 07 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
skedone wrote:
as for the fruit if it over hangs public area it is legal to pick

Where do you get that from ?

If branches overhang then the landowner they overhang on has the right to cut them back BUT the branches cut MUST be given back to the owner of the trees. I'm not aware of any law that allows you to take fruit. In fact I was sure that it is theft.

'scuse me!

I believe I clarified this previously
dougal wrote:
Lets just clarify the legal position.
If something is growing *wild*, picking it (non-commercially) is defined as not being a criminal offence of Theft. (There may however be other picking restrictions and protections.)
However, that gives no entitlement to be on the land so that you could be picking the wild stuff.
The existence of a public right of way legalises your access.

Put the two together and there should be no legal problem with individuals picking reasonable quantities of something unprotected that is growing *wild*, which is accessible to people *on* the right of way.

{Relevant law was quoted in this post https://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=266600#266600 interesting to check the rest of he thread ?}

So if its
- growing wild
- and picked non-commercially
it can't be a criminal Theft (though that doesn't mean that no other restrictions apply)

And if you are on a Right of Way, you aren't trespassing.

But fruit on a garden tree isn't "growing wild" - so taking it *is* a Theft offence - regardless of whether you happen to be on a public Right of Way when you pick it, you are still nicking it.

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been refused foraging after knocking on a door to ask first.
most people seem delighted their stuff isn't going to waste.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive