links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Todays harvest
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 8:23 pm    Post subject: Todays harvest Reply with quote

Didn't go looking for shrooms, concentrated on fruit.
2 lb greengages, from trees I've walked past a hundred times and never noticed. Just on the verge of being perfectly ripe.
4 lb cherry plums, some eaten and more jammed
5 lb or so rowans, rowan wine now on
2 lb or so big, dark plums. Dunno what kind, but they're as sweet as honey.
3lb blackberries. Blackberry pie being scoffed right now
Sufficient water mint for another batch of wine

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good haul, fruit isnt nearly that ready round here

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our blackberries are hard green bullets, todays haul was two sea trout taken out of the freezer! being poached in a court boullion with added fennel for supper

cinders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my harvest was nearly my chives out of the garden but didn't get around to it

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild rasps and bilberries.
Checked out forage sites for later in the year. Doing well.

chez

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15lb of 'lammas plums' - 2 gallons of wine about to start and 16 jars of jam just bottled.

Feeling very smug. And have had to physically stop Arvo drinking the warm jam .

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 07 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Todays harvest Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Didn't go looking for shrooms, concentrated on fruit.
2 lb greengages, from trees I've walked past a hundred times and never noticed. Just on the verge of being perfectly ripe.
4 lb cherry plums, some eaten and more jammed
5 lb or so rowans, rowan wine now on
2 lb or so big, dark plums. Dunno what kind, but they're as sweet as honey.
3lb blackberries. Blackberry pie being scoffed right now
Sufficient water mint for another batch of wine

Golly, cab, you live near the equator?

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Todays harvest Reply with quote

judyofthewoods wrote:

Its odd, but for such a small island, Great Britain has massive variations between the regions for what is ripe when. Would you believe I also spotted the first ripe hawthorn berries of the year on Saturday?

2steps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no ripe fruit here yet but I brought the first spuds in on saturday

the college up the road has a few plum trees I've been keeping an eye on so as long as kids don't take all the fruit and use them as bombs like last year I'm going to ask if we can pick some

judith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found over 2lb chanterelles on Saturday - it may be small beer by you expert mushroom hunters' standards, but it is my biggest ever haul. Had a mushroomy, bacony salade tiède with some and dried the rest.

I knew that this awful weather had to have some compensations.

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Todays harvest Reply with quote

cab wrote:
judyofthewoods wrote:

Its odd, but for such a small island, Great Britain has massive variations between the regions for what is ripe when. Would you believe I also spotted the first ripe hawthorn berries of the year on Saturday?

I have noticed huge differences even on my trip into town (12-13 road miles), with some plants being well over a month apart in their development. I did spot the first ripe blackberry in a sunny spot today, but all ohers are still green and small.

Judith, you lucky so-and-so! I have been looking out for them every few days in a spot I first discovered them last year, but nothing yet. Give it a few more warm days after all this rain, and they should be growing like, eh, mushrooms.

Has anyone tried Marsh Cinquefoil berries? I spotted some a couple of weeks ago, one almost ripe, but when I went back today, most were on the ground, not ripe yet - slugs perhaps or the foul weather. Looks like a strawberry, and of comparable size to a big wild strawberry. The PFF database only mentions edible leaves, but there is no known danger either. Whether the berry is not very nice, or it was an oversight of PFF I don't know. Probably the former, as they talk in detail about how they propagated and grew the plant, if that was the case they must have spotted the berries. Would be nice if it was as nice as a strawberry, 'couse on top of it, its a most stunningly beautiful flower.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's forage : a colander of wild redcurrants. Going back for more tomorrow, as the bush is laden. Also picked my own redcurrants.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Todays harvest Reply with quote

judyofthewoods wrote:

Has anyone tried Marsh Cinquefoil berries? I spotted some a couple of weeks ago, one almost ripe, but when I went back today, most were on the ground, not ripe yet - slugs perhaps or the foul weather. Looks like a strawberry, and of comparable size to a big wild strawberry.

I've eaten berries that looked like strawberries but were bland as anything, then later wondered whether they could have been marsh cinquefoil...

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Todays harvest Reply with quote

cab wrote:
I've eaten berries that looked like strawberries but were bland as anything, then later wondered whether they could have been marsh cinquefoil...

I tried one of the near ripe berries which had come off the plant to see if there was any indication of flavour, and it was indeed very bland. May be what you had then, and might be why they are not mentioned in foraging books. But having said that, Common knapweed is listed as edible in some publications - well I spat it out quicker than you could say "ugh".

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 07 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Todays harvest Reply with quote

judyofthewoods wrote:

I tried one of the near ripe berries which had come off the plant to see if there was any indication of flavour, and it was indeed very bland. May be what you had then, and might be why they are not mentioned in foraging books. But having said that, Common knapweed is listed as edible in some publications - well I spat it out quicker than you could say "ugh".

Foraging books seem to copy bland but readily identified things from each other. Or, worse, nasty edible things. Rats tail plantain and rose bay willowherb, why even list them as edible when they're so very biter?

Knapweed has to be really young. Then its still not worth it, but it ain't yucky.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive