links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
schools

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 7:57 am    Post subject: schools Reply with quote

the head master at my sons school I believe has the right idea last year he asked me to lend them an incubator so the kids at all levels could do projects on eggs and chickens, and they did the full spectrum ie eating not just the cute bits, this year he has asked if they can borrow a couple of lambs for the day for the same sort of thing, I believe more of this should be done

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I think you could say without exaggerating much that in most schools asking children to bring in a can of baked beans for a phony harvest festivel is the nearest kids get to being asked to think about food/farming

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds excellent to me. Darren's post, not the baked beans.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds brilliant Darren, did the kids enjoy it?

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds brilliant Darren.
It just goes to show, that even with ever more restrictive curriculums, someone with a bit of flair and imagination can make a difference.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, we have a generation of adults who don't understand the how's and why's of farming and meat.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally agree with you DarrenG. Having said that our school is a rural one so has no excuse not to include animals etc in the ciriculum as a significant minority of kids are farmers children. In fact the smallest class walked to the chicken suppliers farm this morning to see the newborn chicks and last year we went to another farm for the new born lambs and piglets. It should happen in urban areas as well of course, probably even more important.

On a similar note, it needs an enlightened teacher though and I fear they are few and far between due to the constrictions of the Health and Safety lot etc. The Head here is keen to have a school pet and I suggested chickens, she thought it a brilliant idea but that the chicken poo would be against regulations - it would be wouldn't it? I'm not giving up yet though...

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical - chicken poo is against regulations? Surely guinea pig/rabbit/cow/goldfish poo would also be against regulations.

That's such a pity. The whole school could get involved with chickens - if you had a small flock of 15 or so (don't know what your class sizes are) then all the classes could have turns bringing in scraps, cleaning them out once a week, and taking home an egg every other day or so, for about 1 week a half-term - enough to maintain interest, and not enough to get fed up with it. Plus you have a whole village full of children who knew how look after chickens (wish I'd learnt that at school!)

You might even be able to contribute to the school meal budget. I suppose the holidays would be a problem, though

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
I suppose the holidays would be a problem, though

Well, the school changes it's stock of children once a year...Would be one heck of an end-of-term feast.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
I suppose the holidays would be a problem, though

Well, the school changes it's stock of children once a year...Would be one heck of an end-of-term feast.

i think roasted children would definitely be against regulations!!

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it's not specifically forbidden.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Typical - chicken poo is against regulations? Surely guinea pig/rabbit/cow/goldfish poo would also be against regulations.

That's such a pity. The whole school could get involved with chickens - if you had a small flock of 15 or so (don't know what your class sizes are) then all the classes could have turns bringing in scraps, cleaning them out once a week, and taking home an egg every other day or so, for about 1 week a half-term - enough to maintain interest, and not enough to get fed up with it. Plus you have a whole village full of children who knew how look after chickens (wish I'd learnt that at school!)

You might even be able to contribute to the school meal budget. I suppose the holidays would be a problem, though

I don't think you'd need that many to be honest - we're a school of 55 kids! Three or four would probably be ample. There is no school kitchen as its too tiny, but selling them would teach business skills and maths to the older ones. As for the holidays I can't see a problem. I live at the end of the road, the caretaker of the school is next door, I'm sure between us we could work it out and if others want to join in, well more the merrier!!

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said I'm still working on it... I picked up the NGS open gardens book for this year this morning and I notice it lists a primary school not too far from here with a veg garden, wildlife pond and yes CHICKENS..

Just need to casually show it to the Head.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive