Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Plenty of Horns

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 07 4:02 pm    Post subject: Plenty of Horns  Reply with quote    

Well, what a fantastic afternoon in the New Forest. I went to a wood that hasn't produced much this season and I found Chanterelles (nice big ones), loads of Hedgehogs (I left most of them), a few Deceivers and a huge patch of horns - big nones too, they must have been there for over a month. I only picked about a 5th of what was there. I have never found horns in this spot before.

My wife has gone to her parents for the weekend and taken the camera, so I had to take this on my mobile. Hmmm... what shall I have for dinner?

bingo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 07 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Plenty of Horns Reply with quote    

PeteS wrote:
Hmmm... what shall I have for dinner?

Kebab?

jp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 07 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Quote:
Hmmm... what shall I have for dinner?

...or a good hot curry?

I've never yet found Horns in the New Forset though I keep looking. Finding huge numbers of chanterelles though

PeteS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 07 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well, in the past I might have had a kebab or hot curry when the wife was away.

This time I had 'posh mushrooms on toast' or baked mushrooms on Bruschetta. Chanterelles + Hedghog mushrooms sauted in butter with just a very small chilly. Double cream and a dash of lemon juice is added to this and left to thicken for a while when parsley is added. This mixture is put on slighly toasted Bruschetta and cheese (I used a mild Dutch cheese given to me by a friend from Holand) + breadcrumbs added to the top. The whole lot is baked in the oven until the cheese has melted and the breadcrumbs crisp. To me this is the best mushroomns on toast (and I have tried a few), although it isn't for slimmers.

I followed this with Horn of Plenty and prawns on saffron rice.

Both these recipes are from Carluccio's book.

I also find that Chanterelles with a bit of Horn of Plenty and parsley makes the best mushroom omelette.

I seem to have a nack for finding Horn of Plenty. However, at the weekend I went back to that big patch I found last week and the dry hot weather had got to them - there was nothing worth picking! In fact there wasn't much about. Most of the Chanterelles had dried up (although I did find a few), but I did get a good load of Hedgehogs and a few Oyster mushrooms.

Stewy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 07 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

No Ceps yet at your end Pete?

bingo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 07 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

PeteS wrote:

I seem to have a nack for finding Horn of Plenty. However, at the weekend I went back to that big patch I found last week and the dry hot weather had got to them - there was nothing worth picking! In fact there wasn't much about. Most of the Chanterelles had dried up (although I did find a few), but I did get a good load of Hedgehogs and a few Oyster mushrooms.

I went to busketts yesterday Pete and found nothing. It was quite dry in alot of places, maybe we have to wait now untill the proper season.

PeteS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 07 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Hello Stewy,

When I went out last weekend I was hoping to find some Ceps but there was nothing. I had found a few medium sized ones just over a month ago plus a few baby ones. However, one of the things that I did notice was the appearance of Bitter Boletes. Annoying as at first site they can look like Ceps.

Bingo, given the amount of rain we've had I was surprised how dry it was in the New Forest. It was also a surprise how fast things had changed as last weekend was great. I think that you could be right - we'll probably have to wait until the start of the season proper.

Last edited by PeteS on Tue Aug 07, 07 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

bingo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 07 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Pete I also have noticed lots of Bitter Boletes, must be just right for them.

Here's a checky little bugger I found growing out of a stump near Lyndhurst a few weeks back. I thought it was a Cep, it wasn't.
Looks rather rude don't you think.

Zarza

Location: Either in the kitchen or in the woods, or in between
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 07 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

bingo wrote:
Pete I also have noticed lots of Bitter Boletes, must be just right for them.

Here's a checky little bugger I found growing out of a stump near Lyndhurst a few weeks back. I thought it was a Cep, it wasn't.
Looks rather rude don't you think.

That sort of things is what I need to get my wife into foraging. I've tried everything with no luck. I guess picking something like that will be a new experience for her.

Zarza, why do you underestimate your own assets? Yours' are not that bad, aren't they?... Wait a moment... they are?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive