Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone in Austraila?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have close friends, some family and a former work colleague in Oz and NZ. My cousin farmed in NZ, and now in Oz. They all love it. I've been out to visit, and enjoyed it, but not enough to move there myself.

Land and country property seemed to be cheaper than here.

Go for exploration purposes, don't feel it's something irrevocable, see what you think and how you like it, and enjoy the experience. You also have each other for company and to bounce ideas off.

mosschops

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent advice, and I'd also add that the whole thing seems to be much less stressful if you just think of it as somewhere to live 'for now' rather than 'forever'. (at least that's what works for us!).

Except for the horrendous journey at the begining (24hrs with a 18month old and a 4 year old) and the astonishing beauty it's no different really from when I moved to Brighton from London! ha ha

mosschops

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 07 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
I was wondering as the reports we get have been pretty hysterical ones.

Same here - there have been pleas for help from sheep farmers!

aussie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 07 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many factors to consider, I think, in considering a move to Australia. Perhaps the most important is choosing an area that will fit your lifestyle and offer some employment chances. Inland Oz is hot, dry, expensive due to freight charges on everything from fresh produce to fuel, and in some cases dangerous. This article, from todays Sydney Morming Herald https://www.smh.com.au/news/national/town-troubles-spelt-in-black-and-white/2007/01/05/1167777279245.html illustrates the point. Social disorder is not a small, isolated problem by any means. The Guiness Book Of Records ranks Palm Island, off the coast of Queensland as the most violent place on Earth outside a War Zone...but all major capital cities have a raft of racial tensions and high rates of property crime.
The website of the newspaper mentioned above is a good sourcew of information on Aussie domestic politics and major news stories. www.smh.com.au

Pea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubby is looking at Gippsland in Victoria. We have friends in Melbourne and I have relatives there too.
Ardlethan in NSW last Feb (2006 ) had not had rain for 4 years. It was surprisingly green though I thought.

mosschops

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of emigration forums too, where you can get advice (but also get lots of negative ranting from people who hate it, so be prepared!).

https://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54 is an aussie one.

Pea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mosschops. We are part of that forum but like you say there is a lot of negitive stories on there. I suppose Im trying to find someone who has a similar lifestyle to the one we have here but, in Aus.

Last edited by Pea on Mon Jan 08, 07 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

aussie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 07 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pea wrote:
Hubby is looking at Gippsland in Victoria. We have friends in Melbourne and I have relatives there too.
Ardlethan in NSW last Feb (2006 ) had not had rain for 4 years. It was surprisingly green though I thought.

Both great areas, Pea, and with a climate which is not extreme, by any means. As you go North, into NSW, the climate changes to Sub-Tropical, which has a charm all it own, and is the site of choice for many downsizers, and Tropical starts around Bowen in Qld.
There are some really remarkable areas north of Sydney, and Sydney it'self is very beautiful. Here a link to some examples of areas north of Sydney...max temps around 30 degrees C, with a very rare light frost maybe once each winter....www.escapenorth.com.au and hows this for a beach?https://www.escapenorth.com.au/media/macleay/media_upload/pages/macleay8.htm

Purple Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 07 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm another Australian.

We DO have a serious drought, it's real and it's bad. Huge areas are in big trouble from the drought. The thing is that most people (presumably including our poster called "aussie") live close to the coast, and therefore don't experience the same problems. Coastal areas usually get regular rain and are lush and green, which certainly does describe the coast "halfway between Sydney and Brisbane". BUT head inland and you'll find it's a completely different story: bare dry paddocks and starving animals.

If you move to Australia, chances are you will move to a coastal area and so you'll have no trouble growing your own veggies.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 07 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melbourne and that eastern side (Gippsland and the Mornington Peninsula) seemed rather pleasant when I visited - quite flat, reasonably green, and coastal. Also depends how much heat (either dry/humid) you can take. Melbourne/Vic has drier heat than Sydney.

Earth Mutha with attitude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 07 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're thinking about taking the big leap to Aus - is it really a better attitude to family and work / life balance etc? becoming increasingly disillusioned with life in the uk, hubby is an IT boffin and we think he could get a job out there.

kaz

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 07 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sis lives on the outskirts of Sydney and would never move back to Britain. However, she is a townie rather than wanting anything to do with the countryside.
I do know that when she wants to plant shrubs in her garden she has to get someone to come round with a jackhammer to dig the holes

Purple Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 07 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth Mutha with attitude wrote:
We're thinking about taking the big leap to Aus - is it really a better attitude to family and work / life balance etc? becoming increasingly disillusioned with life in the uk, hubby is an IT boffin and we think he could get a job out there.

Yes it really is better for work / life balance!

I work in IT (I'm a Java developer) and the job market is great at the moment, lots of IT jobs and not enough skilled people to fill them... which means your hubby would have no trouble finding well-paid work.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 07 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that some beleive the drought in Australia is set to be a climatic feature and it's reached a tipping point. Population growth will severly strain the existing resources which will dwindle making it an inhospitable place to live. Whether they're doomsayers or not I don't know.

The pound is strong against the US dollar and their property market is in decline. Most small town america as aspirations and values that peple here seem to long for. Cash in on your house here, and buy your dream over there.

Pea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 07 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and gals it all helps. We have no booked our flights, shorter stay than intended, we are self employed and have found it difficlut to draw the line. Hubby is going out at the end of November to the beginning of April and I will be follwing beginning of March to the beginning April.

John will work and investigate and I will holiday and see what he has found out.

Im really looking forward to getting back over there.

Pea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive