links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Help!!!!

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 6:49 pm    Post subject: Help!!!! Reply with quote

Hi Folks - we took delivery of our hens yesterday - Lundy and I are very proud 'parents'

However, we have a problem, one of our girls has been pecked just in front of her tail - she was fine last night, so guess the other ladies have been giving her a peck. It looks red and a bit raw, but not 'bloody' (if you know what I mean ). Was going to bathe it and dry it, is there anything I should put on it, I'm worried she may get pecked further?!

Signed - A worried new 'mum'

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our three often draw blood from each other's combs. A very small cut and you get tons of blood. We tend to just leave it to dry and they don't seem to pick on one another.

For a wounded foot I gently bathed the foot in salty water making sure the hen didn't try and drink the water. I've not done more than that.

It would be worth keeping an eye on her and if you need to look at some of the first aid posts that have recently gone up. Make sure all the hens are occupied as well, either with some greens or an apple perhaps to take their minds off the other bird.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. We don't tend to worry too much if one of ours gets pecked. (Thats Hens for you). we do keep a close eye on 'em though if they draw blood which is seldom. The cock used to be the worsed offender but we keep him seperate now most of the time and the problems seem to have subsided.

Let us know if things get worse (I'm sure they wont though)

judith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do keep a close eye on it though. The sight of blood can send some hens into a pecking frenzy. If you are worried, you could always slather it with some vaseline, so the bully gets a beak full of gunk next time she tries pecking.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can spray the area with hairspray too. This stops the pecking, as they don't like the taste.

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairspray????? Isn't that poisonous?

Also, I don't have hairspray Have you heard of/used some substance, I think it's purple or some other less enticing colour, that is painted on wounds, helps with healing but also prevents return attacks?

(PS I find your new sig slightly intimidating, given my position )

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it wasn't Nettie that got her arse pecked.

Congrats on being new "parents"!

Gertie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 05 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks - thank you for all the advice.

Nettie's arse is safe and well, Nettie! All seven hens have been named It was Lucy who had a sore back end, but it is healing over nicely. I normally have some purple spray but it looks like it hadn't been used for ages so used to veterinary aloe vera spray I have and it is doing fine.

Lundy has fallen in love with them all. First day we had 3 eggs, yesterday we got 4 - one was laid out in the enclosure whilst we were digging the allotment!!

Actually whilst we were putting up the enclosure the weather was really bad and the enclosure looks like there is no grass in it, but we actually need to take off the top layer, the grass is under that!!

Have taken some piccies, will get them all on here as soon as we can.

Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 05 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gertie wrote:
All seven hens have been named

And not Cassie(role), Nugget, Korma and Burger, by the sounds of it . Look forward to the piccies, and hearing how you remember all the names. Can you really tell the difference in them all already?

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 05 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ... ours are called - Janvier, fevrier, mars, avril, mai, juin, etc, etc, as that is when they will be on our plates - hopefully

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 05 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having major downsizer withdrawal symptoms

Will be glad to get back to work for the rest - have had a hectic week getting hens, sorting allotment, sorting garden, sorting house

All of the hens are different at the moment, because they are in different states of 'undress' - Betty Fudge is the top dog, she is fully feathered and has a small crest. Lucy is at the bottom of the flock, is very nervous but very cute. Jo-Hen has a bare bum at present Peggy is like Betty Fudge but with a large crest - Nettie is cute but has big gaps on her wings, can't tell the difference between Maisie and Maggie - but hey we probably won't tell any of them apart when the feathers are all present and correct!!!!

We're averaging 4 eggs a day at the moment

They're all part of the family now

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 05 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good so far gertie, how's the allotment doing?

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 05 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gertie wrote:
We're averaging 4 eggs a day at the moment

Wow, that's pretty good. We have ten and are averaging 5 a day at present. The older ones are doing the laying. Some of the younger ones (6 mnths) are on and off - but mostly off.

Bye the way - I was joking about the names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive