Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Appalling but true...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 05 8:05 am    Post subject: Appalling but true... Reply with quote

Radio 4 Thursday 21:00 Costing the Earth
The Best Meal You'll Never Have: Almost 40% of the food produced in the UK never reaches our plates. Tom Heap investigates a trail of shocking waste... or golden opportunity.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 05 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one hell of a statistic.

I wonder a little about the truth of it. For example would it count the massive % rejected on "quality" standards, which then goes as animal feed (sometimes) and hence should not qualify as actual wastage. Though having said that, I know that often waste at this point is really waste because it is not profitable to sell on the waste

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 05 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge difference in the price of Class I fruit and veg to the stuff that doesn't even make Class II.

A big and (I'd imagine) growing issue.

thos

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Appalling but true... Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

Almost 40% of the food produced in the UK never reaches our plates.

The seriousness of this depends on where the measurement takes place. To me one of the nice things about growing my own is that I can just select good-quality crops, the rest goes straight onto the compost bin. Food is lost in a glut because it goes off before it is eaten and it is better to eat the fresh produce at its peak rather than produce that is blown.

There is always food lost in storage - some always goes off.

Similarly I do not feel too guilty about cooking more than I need to serve.

All the above factors are common to commercial food production, so 40% loss does not seem too bad. What is the loss from felling trees to the assembly of an Ikea wardrobe or from clay to a teacup?

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 05 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem is how much of it goes into landfill. As far as I know supermarkets don't actually send their food waste for composting but disposal, similarly very few households dipose of their food waste by composting or "green" waste disposal.

Maybe TinyClanger knows more on this??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive