links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Graphics Tablet
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 8:50 am    Post subject: Graphics Tablet Reply with quote

Anyone else use one, anyone up-to-date with them? I've got a small WACOM one that I got in about 1998 when I was still at University, and it;s been pretty good.

But I've lost my pen, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a bit bigger one (this is only the A6 pad), about to start looking online at what's going on with them these days.

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, they appear to have moved on somewhat in the last 10 years:

Well, that is the top of the range one, the basic ones seem about the same

chez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at them when I was looking for a new laptop; but I went traditional in the end. They are fab though and SOOOO Star Trek .

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a couple for work recently from here:

https://www.tablet4u.co.uk/

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking on there! Which did you go for?

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intuos3 A5 USB tablet, I know nothing about them but the designers are both very happy with them

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, think I'll have to be getting a cheapy though. Well, I'll stick with Wacom, but one of their lower end ones, or perhaps I'll tidy my office

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cintiq is about ten years old (but I think prices may have come down)

Unless you want to draw with large movements, you don't need a large tablet. Big tablets simply get in the way. Screen-proportional mode allows a smallish tablet to happily represent a gigantic screen - its just a question of what size gestures you care to make.

One major point of units like the Intuos range is that they support a number of different tools, which, especially for those wanting to simulate traditional tools (airbrush etc), can be extremely worthwhile. They also (IIRC) provide tilt output info from the standard stylus (quite apart from pressure proportionality), so that appropriate software can shape the thickness of a line like a brush, for example.
Worth checking what your software can do (and what inputs it can be prepared to respond to). Painter used to be the king of natural-media simulation... dunno now.

Tablets with on-tablet function buttons are usually more useful to technical CAD draughtsmen than to artists - but not always! It depends on the artist!

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, Dougal, my little A6 one has served me very well. Using Photoshop with pressure sensitivity turned on is pretty good, you can do so much, even set the line to get thicker with more pressure, as well as stronger, which you never used to be able to do.

I used to use Painter with my tablet many a year ago too, I'd forgotten about that! I'm a through and through Photoshop/Illustrator gal these days

We had huge tablets in some of the labs at University, but I still used to only use a portion of them, so was just as well off with mine ooh, they were nice though...

Sod it, I'm going to tidy this room, I'm itching to do some sketching, and paper-sketching just won't scratch that itch

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fee wrote:
You're absolutely right, Dougal, my little A6 one has served me very well. Using Photoshop with pressure sensitivity turned on is pretty good, you can do so much, even set the line to get thicker with more pressure, as well as stronger, which you never used to be able to do.

The thing is that you have separate signals for pressure and tilt, and if your software can accept both of those independently...
https://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/products/intuos/input_airbrush.asp
for example

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh

chez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fee wrote:
Ooooooooooooooooooooooh

Steady there girl!

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 07 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided I'm going to tidy the room, too much craft stuff I don't use regularly in here, which could easily be in the loft (if there's any room up there anymore ).

I might even take before and after shots!

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 07 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting - a tablet which you can write on with ordinary paper and an ink filled stylus so that it feels like normal handwriting. It is used as a stand-alone for taking notes, which are then transfered to the computer, but don't know if it can be used hooked up to the computer. I like the idea of pen and paper and direct writing/drawing. I have a normal computer tablet with pen, and find that the surface is too slippery, especially when you are looking at the screen to see what you are doing, and not following your hand. I guess you can also scan your notes or drawings, but in my experience, when scanning simple diagrams, the shadow created by the paper itself adds loads of unnecessary colour bits and shading. Still, at £100 you would have to have a lot of need to justify its purchase.

AnnaD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 07 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Intuos3 A5 USB tablet, I know nothing about them but the designers are both very happy with them

That's the one I have and it seems fine, though I haven't used it much yet to be honest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive