Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Full Circle?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there are many properties with little or no land, flats for example*, but there's a huge amount of gardens out there which could be used. One of the problems with allotments is people often find they don't have the time to get to them, whereas a garden is literally outside your door!

*Actually modern flats seem to be built with common gardens that could easily be used to grow fruit and veg.

OP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it is easier to grow stuff on an allotment - more space, other people around to encourage you and offer advice - and swap surpluses with!

lottie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of people spend hours treating/cutting lawns and putting out bedding plants---so they have the time---no doubt if fresh food became expensive or in short supply they'd dig them up just like in ww2---it's interesting to look at wartime cookbooks and see the range of ingredients available for what was a perfectly healthy diet compared to the huge array of exotic and out of season produce we are now used to in every supermarket.Let's face it I can't be the only one who knows someone with a fruit tree that they leave the apples to rot then go to tescos and buy "perfect" imported ones

OP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, guilty of that myself - few apples left on the tree because couldn't get to them in time.

And I think it is time, not space, that is perhaps the real problem. Most people are simply too busy to grow food on a serious scale. In one of the papers this morning (which I read for all of 2 mins) it reckoned that costs for middle class families are rising at 7% a year - and that is not including tax. It's difficult to grow lettuces when you are running to stand still.

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangepippin wrote:
Yes, guilty of that myself - few apples left on the tree because couldn't get to them in time.

And I think it is time, not space, that is perhaps the real problem. Most people are simply too busy to grow food on a serious scale. In one of the papers this morning (which I read for all of 2 mins) it reckoned that costs for middle class families are rising at 7% a year - and that is not including tax. It's difficult to grow lettuces when you are running to stand still.

But if food gets expensive then it might make more sense to grow your own stuff. I for one am looking forward to that day.

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot argue with anything the guy says. He should be on DS.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangepippin wrote:

I don't agree it's the lack of time. I've managed to grow a fair bit while working 50+ hours, renovating a house etc and my neighbours who've retired and healthy grow no food. It could be more to do with priorities: going out, shopping for the latest gadgets, going down the gym, going on holiday etc are normally seen as more important than food.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
Would you fancy eating veg grown within a couple of metres of 1000's of vehicles hammering past every hour? What about the implications of oil / petrol run off on the soil quality. Not to mention the safety of the poor so and so's that would have to sow, tend and harvest them. Not feasibile. Might be more chance for hay though.

Agree with the woodland point.

Good place to grow bio-fuel crops?

Bebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Only problem is it is a family joke to shout Rape, Rape! whenever passing a field of yellow flowers. That'd get a bit tiresome on a long motorway journey.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
orangepippin wrote:

I don't agree it's the lack of time. I've managed to grow a fair bit while working 50+ hours, renovating a house etc and my neighbours who've retired and healthy grow no food. It could be more to do with priorities: going out, shopping for the latest gadgets, going down the gym, going on holiday etc are normally seen as more important than food.

I couldn't agree more - it is about prioritising your time. And if you grow your own veg you do not need to go down the gym so not only do you save money on veg you also don't need expensive gym fees - in which case you could negotiate a few less working hours and begin your first steps to becoming a fully fledged Downsizer

But if some-one could come up with a way of explaining to the masses that their world will not fall apart just because they have not got the latest gadget and that picking your first home grown tomato will far outweigh the pleasure got from watching yet another reality tv show .........

lottie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 07 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people have more free time now than years ago---years ago my husband and I [ how royal] worked 5 days a week and saturday mornings---it's just 5 days a week now for most people---when they first brought allotments in people regularly worked 10 and even 12 hour days in the week---they just needed to supplement their food.
Nobody wants to go back to that or kids up chimneys but anyone with a few square feet of ground can produce something for a very small outlay of time and cumulatively over the whole country I think it would make a difference--alot of people do want to do something otherwise they wouldn't bother to recycle---we need a bit of government propaganda---a bit like dig for victory ---wouldn't suit the powers that be really I suspect though or they'd do it.

Green Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 07 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Government's current cheap food policy assumes it will always be cheaper to import than home produce.

SheepShed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 07 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
The Government's current cheap food policy assumes it will always be cheaper to import than home produce.

Remove the words 'cheap food' and I think that accurately describes government policy

Green Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 07 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with this winter's price hic-up food is very cheap. Householders are buying better quality (luxury) foods cheaper than ever before in human history. Only a small percentage of the household monthly income goes on food where in the past it used to be the majority. Foods and restaurant experiences enjoyed by us all today used to be only the preserve of the rich. For us 40+rs think back to what we ate as children, and how often we had scampi, prawns, steak, wine, sweets or fizzy drinks compared to today’s families. In 1979 the inflation rate was 25% .

SheepShed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 07 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's amazing how much the world of food has changed in the lifetime of us oldies - I was born the year after rationing ended and last night was gasping at the latest M&S luxury food advert; a world of difference.

I can't imagine we would have touched scampi or prawns with a barge pole even if they had been available and my childhood consumption of steak and wine was definitely on the low side. Not so sure about sweets and fizzy drinks though, I think I got through quite a bit of them; you could get a sizeable bag of tooth-rotting rubbish for a penny back then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive