Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Soya from Brazil
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone use or know of a no-soya, non-gm feed for pigs and/or poultry? I'd really like to find one, as well as a non-factory farmed dry cat food.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
I'd really like to find one, as well as a non-factory farmed dry cat food.

Hmmm... How do you make dried cat food?

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
mochyn wrote:
I'd really like to find one, as well as a non-factory farmed dry cat food.

Hmmm... How do you make dried cat food?

I hope you're not being facetious, young Rob...

I've tried the cats on tinned stuff and they hate it! There must be an alternative out there, somewhere...

I'd love to be able to grow enough for the pigs, bu twe don't have enough land and I can't afford to buy more...

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynneA wrote:
I'm tempted to have another go at growing some this year.

Anyone suggest a variety that will germinate AND grow in the UK?

I've never tried, but I'm told that someone on our allotments did okay with a variety called 'ustie'.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I'm thinking of making our own dog/cat food but I hadn't considered the dried stuff, until now.

Green Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well why does our government legislate for environmentally friendly, humanly reared food if that is not what the people want? Let U.K. farmers produce foods to the same low standards as the rest of the world so that they can compete financially on a level playing field. (This is partly said tongue in cheek) but hopefully you will understand my sentiment. Either that or ban sub standard imports.

Green Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
a non-factory farmed dry cat food.

Have you considered Burns cat food? https://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
Well why does our government legislate for environmentally friendly, humanly reared food if that is not what the people want? Let U.K. farmers produce foods to the same low standards as the rest of the world so that they can compete financially on a level playing field. (This is partly said tongue in cheek) but hopefully you will understand my sentiment. Either that or ban sub standard imports.

Both points I agree with, we are in a wishy washy middle way that doesn't benefit producers or consumers, it does, however, benefit some very large companies- so why rock that particular boat?

I surprised most of my course when I answered our economics tutor that the best thing for British farmers would be the scrapping of all subsidy- the main reasons the pig, poultry & dairy have become so intensive is a direct result of arable, beef & sheep being subsidised- that differential between market & production will always be skewed by support.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, getting back to soya, regardless of the energy that goes into growing, harvesting & transporting the stuff I think of the issue in the same way as that of nutrient transfer in a field of cattle- by consuming in one place & crapping in another nutrients can become depleted/in excess in different areas of the field (water troughs & feeders most commonly, also in sheltered areas). Think of the world as one big field & you have exactly the same net effect with soya imports

Green Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I thought farmers are not subsidised for production any more. They get ever decreasing payments for looking after the countryside etc.

Green Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
But, getting back to soya, regardless of the energy that goes into growing, harvesting & transporting the stuff I think of the issue in the same way as that of nutrient transfer in a field of cattle- by consuming in one place & crapping in another nutrients can become depleted/in excess in different areas of the field (water troughs & feeders most commonly, also in sheltered areas). Think of the world as one big field & you have exactly the same net effect with soya imports

You mean we get all the crap?

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since my economics class

Subsidies have created this situation over 60 years though, we can't expect it to be reversed immediately, and they haven't gone yet. Quotas are on their way out too but they've still left a diasterous effect in their wake...

Interesting triple meaning there hadn't thought of that

(Of course if you are looking at it from an organic farmers poin of view crap = black gold, so another meaning to add to the list )

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
mochyn wrote:
a non-factory farmed dry cat food.

Have you considered Burns cat food? https://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Thanks for that, CKR: I'm looking at the site now. I got a feeling my local vet stocks Burns.

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
But I thought farmers are not subsidised for production any more. They get ever decreasing payments for looking after the countryside etc.

Yes but they also get ever (well for 10 years as each year the payment shift 10% from historic to land) increasing area payments.

Justme

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 08 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
Cho-ku-ri wrote:

Yes but they also get ever (well for 10 years as each year the payment shift 10% from historic to land) increasing area payments.

Justme

Unless you're like us & started claiming just after the reference period for historic payments, in which case ours dropped down to 10% in year one & are now climbing each year (And it's over eight years).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive