Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 12:26 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Last edited by fish (the other one) on Mon Mar 10, 08 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this one, from my article here on Downsizer on making marmalade and other things with citrus fruits

VSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can never get the blasted stuff to set!

Still make it though - wonderfull in Bara Brith.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you're getting it hot enough to reach setting point ? Can be an issue with large batches, as I've discovered on the occasions when I have had access to a jam thermometer - I thought it was hot enough, but the temperature would sit for ages at just under setting point. I really had to crank the heat up for a bit to get to 102 or whatever it's supposed to be.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be difficult, because of the pectin content of the fruit. You could try increasing the number of lemons you use.

2steps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only made it once and it didn't set and went all cloudy. might give it another try

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a couple more tips for setting :

1. Warm the sugar in a low oven (along with the jars is ideal), before adding to the fruit mix in the pan. This helps it dissolve faster and more thoroughly.

2. Make sure all the sugar is dissolved before you crank up the heat to boil it - run the spoon round the edges and the bottom of the pan until you can't feel or hear any crunching of sugar crystals. Also stir and inspect spoonfuls for sugar crystals.

I find my marmalade is often 'cloudy', because the flesh of the oranges includes pith from the segments. Grapefruit marmalade especially so. Doesn't matter.

I also find (though I'm usually aiming for 'just set and no more' for show purposes, as this maximises the freshness of flavour) that my marmalade does set, but when you open a jar and start using it, it does go a bit runny.

You're not aiming for a really solid set with home-made preserves.
Shop-bought jam sets because they add things to it.

dougal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSS wrote:

Try using "Jam sugar" (no, not 'preserving sugar', "jam sugar"!)
It has some pectin, and that makes setting really easy.

VSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i must have a mental block about it - have tried all sorts of methods for testing set over the years, flake test, cold plate, thermometer etc and rarely seem to get a good set.

I don't seem to be able to say with any confidence THIS JAM IS SET due to all the failures.

I don't know though if the jam sugar would help as i don't think lack of pectin is the problem - rather i am the problem.

I suppose i can't be good at everything No good at scones either.

dougal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 08 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using "jam sugar" does make it easier - believe me!

nats

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 08 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the prepping that I get tired with - any easy ways of separating pith and peal? or does it not need to be done?

Rosemary Judy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 08 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine hasn't set, for the first time ever - that'll teach me to smile smugly at this thread

Will reboil tomorrow - need to lose at least 1/2 a big jar.....

txarli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 08 9:35 pm    Post subject: you do need Seville/bigarade oranges for marmalade Reply with quote

VSS wrote:

Are you using Seville/bigarade oranges (Citrus aurantium L.)?
These have more pectin than other (?all?) oranges.
You can recognize them by their rough skin and,
especially, by their horrendously bitter taste.

This year, they seemed to turn orange earlier than previous years -- I guess autumn 2007 in Sevilla had some cooler nights(https://xrl.us/bd8vh) -- but they (the ones growing in the streets of Sevilla, at least) still haven't been picked; usually, these get picked or fall off February/March.

dougal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 08 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nats wrote:
It's the prepping that I get tired with - any easy ways of separating pith and peal? or does it not need to be done?

You needn't get stressed over it, that's for sure.
An older thread... https://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=309693#309693

dougal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 08 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Downsizer txarli! (Charlie?)

I had heard of the street-trees in Seville/Sevilla, but does anyone pick/use their fruit?

txarli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 08 12:06 am    Post subject: Streets of SE paved with ... oranges Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
Welcome to Downsizer txarli!
Gracias, ?Dougal?!

I had heard of the street-trees in Seville/Sevilla, but does anyone pick/use their fruit?

too long a story for this thread (IMHO); those interested can ask Google: https://xrl.us/bd8ya
I guess IE+GB get most from orchards/groves; there are only ~20K tons on SE's streets, but, briefly, from the SE point of view ...
the price offerd/paid by ~GB companies plummeted some years back and, it was said, made the street fruit un-/less economical to pick. With the poor GBP the last couple of months (cuurently €/£ >~14% on yr), this should be even more significant for GB; IE, being on €uro, maintains parity (yes, I realize my economics is lacking+)
SE Ayuntamiento (=Council) (¿realizing the price of oranges littering the streets hadn't been factored in?) made a new contract a couple of years ago and whoever it was went around pruning the trees (but in the autumn, when the trees were in full fruit ). Last year few oranges were picked--most? just fell; now there is a bumper crop awaiting.

Sevillan@s don't seem to eat marmalade much; you can get it (GB jars) in some shops.

____
A last word: If you've never experienced orange blossom (ES:azahar) and its wonderful jasmin-like scent, you should find plenty pervading the streets of SE early..mid-March (https://xrl.us/bd8zq)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive