Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 08 1:07 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Last edited by fish (the other one) on Mon Mar 10, 08 7:50 pm; edited 5 times in total

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 08 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: The poacher. fireside musings from wiltshire. Reply with quote

fish (the other one) wrote:

Yes poachers are meligned the world over ,but remember theyre not all bad.

No but the majority are, coursing gangs driving into fields to bet on the outcome, no matter what is in the field. Deer poaching gangs out with NV and sound moderated rifles emptying fields. The people who net and fish for duck that kids have been feeding bread...........

The one for the pot brigade are in the very very small minority.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority are just brutal, thieving scrotes. A few take the odd bunny for the table, but as the gentleman above says, they're as rare as a really rare thing.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poaching, in general is well organised gang themed brutality. The same type of people whose respect shown for their fighting dogs are often several tiers higher than that given to their wives and children.

fish (the other one)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftw

Last edited by fish (the other one) on Mon Mar 10, 08 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poaching is a crime no matter how much you try and glorify it.

king rat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if your trying to defend it for a reason I reckon.
Poaching is theft in anyones language and I am surprised to see an article like this on a forum, If I posted one that tried to promote shoplifting I would expect it to be removed pretty smartish

Hill.Billy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My great grandfather was a farm bailiff, and he couldn't stand poachers.

If you wish to get a few rabbits, approach a farmer who has a rabbit problem. Simple as that. We have had sheep taken recently on Dartmoor, butchered on the spot by poachers, bits left in a diabolical mess
That is your typical poacher, hardly what I would call conservation.

Real question is, are you trying to defend poaching because you like to do it yourself? One for your own pot? Or a few for your own pot? Hardly sustainable, and hardly ethical.

Erikht

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Moonlit romance! Being chased by game keepers, and saying "that's a fair cop" when you get caught! Making the silent kill so humanely that the game ques up to get caught! Living in balance with nature!

or...

Destroying local conservation plans! Botching shots because of darkness! Giving the mafia-like gangs a human face, so that they can go on with their crimes while you play the Robin Hood! All in all a most irresponsible approach to nature.

Green Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a farmer that was beaten up by hare coursers. And when my widowed grandmother was alive and living alone in a cottage on the banks of a river. She was threatened because she phoned the police when she heard a gang poisioning salmon. To prove their point they burnt down an empty cottage next to hers as a warning. She had to move into town after that. It broke her spirit.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local farmer had a problem with missing stock. Had an idea who it was and knew where he drank. The farmer paid a visit to the pub and after a few pints proclaimed his problem. His solution, to all willing to listen, which involved a shot gun, a coffin size pit and a movable manure heap.

king rat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a look at the forum being advertised on this posters thread and am not surprised to see why poaching is being defended. If this is supposed to in anyway be a tribute to the late, great Jack Hargreaves, he must be turning in his grave.
I think I will stick to places like here thank you very much.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some doubt whether or not poachers were once on a bit of my ground - there was reason for the gate to be open but there was also an orphaned red deer calf on the land that I had to dispatch a week later, so pays your money and takes your choice.

About a month ago, I had to put down another red deer, which had two crossbow bolts in its rump. So yes, that I know for a fact.

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 08 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the modern day there the justification for illegal poaching has long since died out when shoots are seen to be throwing game away, or at best giving it away, and even the stuff that gets sold isn't making much unless you put it in a fancy sauce somewhere in the middle of London. That small scale poaching has become as much a sport as any high brow organised shoot.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive