Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Identifying a bee?

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 08 2:56 pm    Post subject: Identifying a bee? Reply with quote

I saw an unusual-looking bee in a friend's garden this morning - at least I think it was a bee. It was about the size of a honey-bee (ish), but had a round-ish furry gingery-coloured body, quite long narrow wings which seemed to stick out a bit like a dragonfly's wings and a long sticky-out proboscis. On reflection that sounds a bit moth-ish too. It was foraging in a bee-like manner around various plants at ground level and too small and skittish to photograph with my weedy camera.

I've tried googling to identify it, but can't find any very helpful sites. Any suggestions?

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 08 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite good for the solitary bee's

https://www.insectpix.net/solitary_bees_gallery.htm

I've just realised I saw a Tawny Mining Bee near our beehive the other day - I wondered what it was

marigold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 08 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jo, Tawny Mining Bee looks most likely, but I'm not sure... It's difficult to relate a still image to a briefly glimpsed flying insect isn't it?

KatP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 08 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Hairy Footed Flower Bee! Fantastic name.

Must have been those we saw some of at my parents a couple of years ago, wondered what they were, had guessed some sort of hover fly because of the proboscis, but glad it was a bee after all!

Woodburner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 08 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have been a bee fly rather than a bee, they don't put their wings back like bees do.

Slim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 08 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big were the wings? Could it have been a hummingbird moth? Nah, they're bigger than what you described. But they do fly from flower to flower like bumblebees....

marigold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 08 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bee fly is the answer - thanks Woodburner! https://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/insects/10101-bee-fly.html.

Hummingbird hawk moths are gorgeous - a couple of years ago I saw thousands of them in a garden full of lavender .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive