Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
An excellent gun shop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 08 5:10 pm    Post subject: An excellent gun shop Reply with quote

For anyone thinking of buying a shotgun, I would strongly recommend a visit to Ladd's of Crediton should you pass this way. They're very knowledgeable and helpful, and pass the acid test of customer service - they'll recommend the cheaper gun if they think it's a better buy for what you want. They also have a clay trap there and encourage people to try the guns before they buy (the used ones anyway). There's a competetive clayshooter there, and the proprietor, Mike Ladd, who has in the last day or three done us proud.

He rummaged through his back stock to find a couple of guns that closely approximated what Madame Bear wanted, cheerfully lent them to us to take to the clay ground and check them out thoroughly, and when she had chosen a lovely near-mint AYA Model 25, forgetfully gave us the trade price, some £200 under retail. When he realised his mistake, he laughed and said, "Oh, sod it, have it for the trade price then."

If anyone is passing and wants a look at the stock, I'd be more than happy to run you there and introduce you.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 08 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to appply for shotgun cert soon and will attempt to persuagde earthyvirgo to do the same. Will need another gun cabinet though.

If Ladds are that good we may well come down and pay a visit.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 08 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another
kirklees guns
sound chaps

Brownbear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in Exeter there's also the Sportsman, who do a lot of new stuff and a huge range of rifles - they're a very modern place - and Ladd's, which is full of farmers and is very much a gun shop of the English rural type.

VSS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I'm going to appply for shotgun cert soon and will attempt to persuagde earthyvirgo to do the same. Will need another gun cabinet though.

i don't know if its still there or not but there was a really nice little gun shop in Penrhyndaeudraueth. tim has bought a couple of guns there, a nice BSA side by side doubole barrell (30" barrell, 1/2 and 3/4 choke), and a Weobley and Scott single barrell (32" barrell, and full choke). Both reasonably priced and in good nick.
also bought my hammer action, double barrell, folding .410 from the same place - it was my 21st birthday present!

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSS wrote:
vegplot wrote:

i don't know if its still there or not but there was a really nice little gun shop in Penrhyndaeudraueth. tim has bought a couple of guns there, a nice BSA side by side doubole barrell (30" barrell, 1/2 and 3/4 choke), and a Weobley and Scott single barrell (32" barrell, and full choke). Both reasonably priced and in good nick.
also bought my hammer action, double barrell, folding .410 from the same place - it was my 21st birthday present!

Don't don't. I can't resist. Thanks I'll check it out.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penrhyn Guns
7 High Street
Penrhyndeudraeth
Gwynedd LL48 6BN
Tel: (01766) 770339

VSS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the chap!

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the place with a great ATS, but a greater drive by tyre fitter? Or are there simply dozens of really, really long names like that there?

judith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to both questions.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Is that the place with a great ATS, but a greater drive by tyre fitter? Or are there simply dozens of really, really long names like that there?

Penrhyndeudraeth?

That's one of the short ones. Welsh place names look more complicated than they actually are you just have to know where the sylabls lie. Place names are often descriptive with the words joined together as one.

Penrhyn|deu|draeth
Llan|fair|fechan

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to recomend one in NE London/ SW Essex....but I can't

If you fancy a laugh, go to either of the shops near Woodford, especially the one just into Essex, and ask some searching questions.....

The answers always crack me up! Talk of 200 yard rabbit, with a .22 with open sights....I just aim two foot above its head etc etc!

Pete

Brownbear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitelegg1 wrote:
I'd love to recomend one in NE London/ SW Essex....but I can't

If you fancy a laugh, go to either of the shops near Woodford, especially the one just into Essex, and ask some searching questions.....

The answers always crack me up! Talk of 200 yard rabbit, with a .22 with open sights....I just aim two foot above its head etc etc!

Fired whilst standing, no doubt. Possibly on one leg. There is another gun shop in the Heavitree part of Exeter, which I won't dignify by naming, where the racks of unsold rifles gather dust, the staff drool and giggle for no reason, and a stream of local chavs purchase their fearsome-looking knives to stab each other with.

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 08 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSS wrote:

i don't know if its still there or not but there was a really nice little gun shop in Penrhyndaeudraueth.

Yep still there or was last year.

Justme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive