About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
tasty tomatoes : recommendations, please
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 4:01 pm    Post subject: tasty tomatoes : recommendations, please Reply with quote

Based on what you've all been growing this year (or previously), which toms would you all recommend for flavour ?

I know you can get all kinds of weird and wonderful colours and shapes, but do any of them actually taste nice as well ?

Next year, I may do some indoor windowsill growing of a few toms, so I'd like them to be really good ones.

Wingy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From those I've grown this year and in previous years, my absolute favourites for taste alone are:

Green Zebra
Tigerella
Black Russian
Pink Brandywine
Sub Arctic Plenty

cab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For indoors, on a window ledge... I dunno, most of the ones I really like do better outdoors. If you can stretch to a basket hanging in the window, go for 'gartenperle' and 'yellow pigmy', both of which are sweet and juicy.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
For indoors, on a window ledge... I dunno, most of the ones I really like do better outdoors. .

OK, well I could start them off indoors, pot on, and put them outside on sunny days, if that would help.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
cab wrote:
For indoors, on a window ledge... I dunno, most of the ones I really like do better outdoors. .

OK, well I could start them off indoors, pot on, and put them outside on sunny days, if that would help.

Might do

Seriously though, I think that a big contributing factor to a tomato tasting great is getting its roots down into the soil, I think they always taste better that way.

Outdoors, I like St. Pierre, Pink Brandywine and San Marzano, among others. Trying out two that are supposedly blight tolerant this year; 'legend' and another, I think its 'ferline'. Hoping they turn out to be tasty.

Wingy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever grow mine indoors, ie in the greenhouses. Are you going to be growing yours in the house, indoors?

yummersetter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferline's been one of our taste favourites for the past two years, both in the greenhouse and in pots outside. It's well behaved and disease-resistant as well and has subtle but attractive gold-dust speckles at the stem end.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerella is himself's favourite, over gardeners delight and sungold. Have lots more to try, but late this year, so I'll come back to you in a month or so. My first sungold is just turning orange. as we speak.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingy wrote:
I only ever grow mine indoors, ie in the greenhouses. Are you going to be growing yours in the house, indoors?

No greenhouse here, and nowhere to sensibly put one, so it's gotta be indoor windowsill if I want any tomatoes. Not even got a porch with lots of glass panels.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my absolute favorite is Black From Tula, followed by Brandywine & Striped German - though striped germans are HUGE

mochasidamo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 08 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Black Russian...ours from three year old saved seed and 100% germination.

And our own variety of Cherry Tom...the most amazing flavour from one plant which should have been pure Sungold from saved seed ....will net some flowers and try and get some seed from it.

BadBoyClub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 08 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sungold, without a doubt is my current favourite. I grow as much as I can squeeze into my greenhouse as I make vats of pasta sauce with it & freeze it which gives me a good supply well into early spring.

It is particularly good with gnocchi

I wish I knew which variety my favourite red tom is as I inherited a greenhouse & tom crop when we moved to this house & I saved the seeds. They are particularly tasty & thrive in growbags, so pretty much perfect for my needs ...

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 08 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet million intercropped with chillis on a dung rich soil

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 08 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Brandywines; Ananas noir.

VSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 08 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know - haven't picked any yet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive