Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Monbiot on Bellamy
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think David Icke is behind it all.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very worthy demolition job - and we can now watch for the 555 glaciers as a tracer of the spread of this non-science.
Anyone got any idea *why* Bellamy might have thought that this lot was in any way authoritative, or *why* he might have adopted this position? Or has the old boy just lost the plot?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems scary that a figure as respected as him didn't look into matters closer before mouthing off to the whole world

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bet Bellemy will be quoted for years to come as he is a NAME and since the refution is long and tedious, it will be forgotten

THey guy really needs a good slapping for this

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, David Bellamy, who when doing an item on TV on the CAT patronisingly belittled them by seemingly endorsing their work but calling the displays 'Mickey Mouse'. In all fairness it was in the earlier days of the CAT, and no doubt the CAT are trying hard themselves now to disasociate themselves with any amateur/grassroots image. When I mentioned this about DB to someone before, being puzzled about his attitude, I vaguely remember the person saying something about him working for big industry. Not sure if I've got it right - any one know about that to confirm or refute? It might explain things.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that when his TV work dried up he got into bed with some big corporations to endorse their environmental projects as being good, which they probably were, but then couldn't criticise their general day to day practices which weren't.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is being a bit contrary isn't he?

I have a lot of respect for the man so wouldn't write off his position, but the weight of evidence is against him.

Andy B

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:

I have a lot of respect for the man so wouldn't write off his position, but the weight of evidence is against him.

Everybodies evidence can be made to look convincing. Thats the problem.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

well any stated fact looks convincing as you don't normally expect people to be lying

It is one of the ways the tobaco companies managed to muddy the waters on health risks for so long.

And sadly the same is happening with climate change

Andy B

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Andy B wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

well any stated fact looks convincing as you don't normally expect people to be lying

It is one of the ways the tobaco companies managed to muddy the waters on health risks for so long.

And sadly the same is happening with climate change

Yes but you dont know he's lying, maybe he doesn't think he's lying. Did you beleive everything he has said up to this point, or are you changing your'e opinion on the things he said before, or is it that most people dont agree, me included, with what he is now saying, but that doesn't mean that he is lying.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:

Yes but you dont know he's lying, maybe he doesn't think he's lying. Did you beleive everything he has said up to this point, or are you changing your'e opinion on the things he said before, or is it that most people dont agree, me included, with what he is now saying, but that doesn't mean that he is lying.

I think if they layman states as fact something without checking their sources, it is unfair to say they are lying.

If someone sets themself up as a scientist and fires off bombshells of information as fact, backing up up with implied "reputable" sources that are in fact easily determined to be bollux, then I am happy to use the word "lying".

A scientist does not expect to see a paper published without peer review, they should be used to understanding about standards of evidence

Haddock

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monboit v Bellamy thing has been going on for a while now. There are several articles on his site with ref to things that Bellamy has said. Personally I think Bellamy may have lost the plot a while ago, or he is now a paid minion of the Big Corporations. In other articles Monboit further exposes his representation of false data.

https://www.monbiot.com/

thos

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 05 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haddock wrote:
The Monboit v Bellamy thing has been going on for a while now. There are several articles on his site with ref to things that Bellamy has said. Personally I think Bellamy may have lost the plot a while ago, or he is now a paid minion of the Big Corporations. In other articles Monboit further exposes his representation of false data.

https://www.monbiot.com/

Back in the '70s my Professors regarded him as a media personality rather than a 'real' botanist. His few scientific publications were not awarded any respect.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 05 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apocalyptic Global Warming scenario is irrelevant, divisive and a distraction from the real need to DOWNSIZE the thousands of wasteful habits of millions of people in the "affluent world".
Reducing the cause of most problems to just a few ICONS such as Global Warming allows bureaucrats, consumers and producers to indulge in simplistic solutions whilst continuing mostly business as usual. Accomplished cynics are able to sell even Nuclear Power as a "Solution" to an iconic Problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive