Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ecotarianism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 10:27 am    Post subject: Ecotarianism Reply with quote

I had not come across this term until I was given an article from The Times. Not sure we need another new label for a sustainable way of living and none of the ideas will be new ones to people on this site!

However, I do have trouble explaining to people why I make some of the choices I do. Such as choosing a local, small, veg grower over an organic box scheme which imports veg. These choices are constantly evolving as I've found it much easier to tackle one sourcing problem at a time and I can see it's confusing for friends and family.

So, would you call yourself an 'ecotarian'?

More info on Ecotarianism.

Ecotarian Blog

Edited for bad grammar

Last edited by cassy on Fri Oct 03, 08 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't read the pdf for some reason.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotarianism Reply with quote

cassy wrote:

So, would you call yourself an 'ecotarian'?

I'll stick to calling myself Sally, far easier to explain away my choices as being just another of my wierd and wonderful eccentricities that way

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call myself one. I do find it faintly depressing that there's a riverford organics delivery service van buzzing around Torrington when there's a cheaper veg box service delivering stuff grown within five miles of here available. They're not certified organic though, so that's probably why. Bah, I spit upon the "Organic Movement" and all its works.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"organic movement" does conjure up some interesting images Or am I just odd. But I spit on it too

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think if you can't (or won't) buy you food closer to source than a supermarket, then organic is the most meaningful label there is. Although 'product of the UK' is up there, too.

On the whole, I buy very little organic stuff, preferring to go local if possible, but if I'm need something from a source where I can't ask questions, then organic is my preference.

I've given up calling myself anything - like Sally, I'm just me. People usually shut up if I've fed them (except to ask for seconds)

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotarianism Reply with quote

cassy wrote:
I had not come across this term until I was given an article from The Times.

The problem with this article, and others is that they always troop straight to the supermarkets. If she'd bothered to find a greengrocer she could have had local parsely with her mussels rather than whine.

cassy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ecotarianism Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
I'll stick to calling myself Sally, far easier to explain away my choices as being just another of my wierd and wonderful eccentricities that way

wellington womble wrote:
I've given up calling myself anything - like Sally, I'm just me. People usually shut up if I've fed them (except to ask for seconds)

Indeed .

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Sally at weekends.

cassy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 08 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
I'm Sally at weekends.

Does she know?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive