Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
tune up
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 08 4:34 pm    Post subject: tune up Reply with quote

i've recently bought a BSA ultra multishot set at 11.18lbs/ft how can i up the pressure, wheres the adjusting screw and how many shots do you really get from a charge,is this rifle good enough for rabbits and pheasant?thanks in advance.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 08 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: tune up Reply with quote

tony.s wrote:
i've recently bought a BSA ultra multishot set at 11.18lbs/ft how can i up the pressure

It's illegal to take the rifle over 12 foot pounds unless it is bought as a Firearm and you have permission for it on a properly issued Firearms Certificate. Otherwise, you would be liable to prosecution for Possession of an Unlicenced Firearm and subject to a mandatory 5-year prison term.

Not only that, but tinkering with the power of an air rifle generally serves only to destabilise the pellet in flight, making it inaccurate.

tony.s wrote:
wheres the adjusting screw

Adjustments can be made only by trained gunsmiths - attempts to tune it yourself invalidate the guarantee, usually do severe damage to the weapon and, as mentioned above, render you liable to prosecution.

tony.s wrote:
and how many shots do you really get from a charge

What calibre is the rifle?

tony.s wrote:
s this rifle good enough for rabbits

If you can hit them in their heads, just behind the eye and below the ear, yes. If not, no.

tony.s wrote:
and pheasant

No.

tony.s wrote:
thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

frewen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 08 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get it from? I know nothing about shooting or aboult the helpfulness of gun salespeople, and I didn't know you could increase the pressure either...

Oh and welcome by the way - my husband is going lamping for the first time Weds (weather permitting)

Brownbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 08 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frewen wrote:
Where did you get it from? I know nothing about shooting or aboult the helpfulness of gun salespeople

If they're not helpful, the best thing is to take your money elsewhere.

frewen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 08 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chrispystix found one very unhelpful one earlier today

Good job there are two in town

Brownbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 08 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frewen wrote:
I think Chrispystix found one very unhelpful one earlier today

Good job there are two in town

There's a local one like that - run by a wizened gnome, a bloke of about 50 whose head wobbles about as he talks, and a youth whose mother clearly had a craving for lumps of lead whilst she was carrying him. They seem almost never to sell a gun - the stock of rifles at least barely changes from one year to the next - and the only customers I have ever seen in there are local chavs buying knives to stab each other with.

They sold me some dud ammo, and when I returned it they blew bubbles of spit down their grimy chins as they laughed at my foolishness in expecting my money back. Perhaps needless to say I have not returned.

tony.s

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 08 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a 5.5/.22 with an hawke eclipse sight.some on here are only giving negative views about hawke scopes.my reason for asking about upping the pressure is because the silencer fitted is about three inches longer than the bsa one which i reckon would allow for the destabilisation of the pellet ie lengthening the barrel and as such a more true trajectory allowing for more power?points about legality of it accepted.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 08 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony.s wrote:
the silencer fitted is about three inches longer than the bsa one which i reckon would allow for the destabilisation of the pellet ie lengthening the barrel and as such a more true trajectory allowing for more power?

the sound moderator shouldn't make any difference to the trajectory or accuracy - it's not an extension of the barrel, and if the projectiles are touching any port of the moderator they'll be going all over the place.

Air rifles are tuned to the power that will give the pellet the most stable trajectory. Even FAC air rifles need to be carefully calibrated on their higher power in order to ensure accuracy. Charge, projectile weight, rifling pitch, barrel length and weight - these are all highly variable and must all work together in order to ensure accuracy. It isn't just a matter of turning up the power knob.

If your air rifle lacks the power you require, your best bet would be a .22LR or a .17HMR firearm.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 08 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you compared performance with and without the moderator? If you're getting a large spread of shots, with the moderator in place then as BB says it could be a contact issue and a change of moderator may be required. However, try pellets of different mass/makes as it's the cheaper option.

tony.s

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 08 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx chaps ,think i'll try it out with original bsa silencer against one fitted and see what happens.does the difference between the 11.18lbs/ft its tested at and the legal 12 max going to have any major detriment.ps using air arms pellets at the mo.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 08 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony.s wrote:
does the difference between the 11.18lbs/ft its tested at and the legal 12 max going to have any major detriment.ps using air arms pellets at the mo.

It should have been factory-tuned for maximum accuracy - try different pellets until you get the ones that give the tightest groups. The power difference between what you have and the legal maximum is going to make no appreciable difference to your rifle's stoping power. You just have to put your shot in the right place.

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 08 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony.s wrote:
thnx chaps ,think i'll try it out with original bsa silencer against one fitted and see what happens.does the difference between the 11.18lbs/ft its tested at and the legal 12 max going to have any major detriment.ps using air arms pellets at the mo.

The power you get deppends on the rifle AND the pellet. Some pellets will give higher & some lower power.
Springers tend to give better power with lighter pellets & PCP's with heavier pellets. The legal limit is 12 but that with ANY pellet the police choose to test it with not the pellets you actualy use. So you could already be over the legal limit. Buy a selection pack of pellets & then test its power with all of them from super heavy to ultra lights youy might be supprised. Whilst doing it dont just blat them off actualy check them for acuracy too so you can choose the most accurate pellet for YOUR rifle.

Richard

PS how are you testing your rifle?

tony.s

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 08 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a piece of ply at twenty metres with a bought in target,i fire my spring hw 99s at it with iron sights and embed the pellet well into the ply then the bsa ultra multi shot and it doesn't embed as deep.i use pellets as recommended for each rifle by manufacturer and gun shop.i can kill a rabbit at over thirty metres with hw on iron sights but not with new better improved bsa.tried everything, was infantry soldier for 7.5 years and know marksmanship principles in my sleep backwards in several languages etc etc.only been out once with new rifle only answer i come up with is it sights at 20m but over that nothing so is the power test wrong or barrel bent? thnx.

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 08 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your spring hw 99s over the 12ft.lb legal limit? It might be worth taking your BSA to a gun smith or gun club who can chronograph it and work out what its actual muzzle energy is.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 08 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a rummage in here Tony. They have large sections on the Ultra Multi.

https://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive