Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone enjoy Archery?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know, I have done archery in the past and Know I enjoy it, I will probably get a longbow if one comes up for the right price as I spend a bit of time at medieval re-enactments and would like to become a battlefield archer but as for a recurve bow I will hold on as long as I can.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in getting into bow hunting, but seems like an awful lot of gear to invest in right now.

Silas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
I've been interested in getting into bow hunting, but seems like an awful lot of gear to invest in right now.

If you are going to hunt, use a gun not a bow.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those mate! Bow hunting is apparently an American tradition that isn't still so alive on your side of the pond, eh?

Silas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
I've got one of those mate! Bow hunting is apparently an American tradition that isn't still so alive on your side of the pond, eh?

No, it is, quite rightly, illegal in this country for very good reason.

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silas wrote:
Slim wrote:

No, it is, quite rightly, illegal in this country for very good reason.

I think banning it outright over here would cause an incredible uproar amongst hunters. I can see why it would be made illegal, and just like any hunting, it seems like it should only ever be done very responsibly. No one should ever take a shot that they can't make. But it's still a way of life that many would refuse to give up.

All that being said, I've never bowhunted, and would love to attempt the sport of archery (as opposed to bowhunting) just for the sake of the sport.

Silas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the words bowhunting and responsibility cannot be used in the same sentence. There are far too many variables with bowhunting for it ever to be a safe way of despatching game.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yet it was successfully used in this country and many others for thousands of years, I agree that it should be Illegal in this country and would not hunt game here but as it is legal in the states and is properly licensed then I dont have a problem with it.
Sure some animals might get injured but I find it hard to beleive every single bird shot at on a drive in the UK is either killed outright or missed compleatly, I wonder how many just get struck by 1 pellet and keep on flying in great pain??
I am not going to get into a discussion about the right and wrongs of different countries laws on this sublect but so long as its legal and done responsably I have no problem with bow hunting larger game

Silas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
and yet it was successfully used in this country and many others for thousands of years, I agree that it should be Illegal in this country and would not hunt game here but as it is legal in the states and is properly licensed then I dont have a problem with it.
Sure some animals might get injured but I find it hard to beleive every single bird shot at on a drive in the UK is either killed outright or missed compleatly, I wonder how many just get struck by 1 pellet and keep on flying in great pain??
I am not going to get into a discussion about the right and wrongs of different countries laws on this sublect but so long as its legal and done responsably I have no problem with bow hunting larger game

You are already in an argument about the rights and wrongs.

Bowhunting is a filthy self gratifying 'sport'.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So back on topic, who here enjoys archery??

and im not in an argument, you might be but I have my own point of view, I beleive it and that is my choice, try to change it if you will but I wish you luck if you think you can

Silas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
So back on topic, who here enjoys archery??

and im not in an argument, you might be but I have my own point of view, I beleive it and that is my choice, try to change it if you will but I wish you luck if you think you can

I admit to having a problem with people who seem to enjoy killing things. I accept the need to kill things for food, I can also accept the need, though to a slightly lesser extent, for vermin control.

I eat pheasant and I know that these are shot for 'pleasure' or 'recreation'.

But people who just kill animals for fun are a bit sick in the head in my opinion.

If you were aware of the variables involved in bowshooting I am sure you would alter your opinion. Most American Bowhunters do at least use compound bows, but few of them use a release and will use their fingers on the string.

I would think that most people who use a rifle would be expected to be able to group ten within a circle the size of a 10p piece at 60 yards. Not many archers are capable of that even allowing for perfect conditions and no failures of string, limbs, nocks, fatigue, pile detatchment, fletchings coming adrift and countless other things.

If you are going to shoot something, you have a duty to your prey to make its death as clean and painless as possible - this can be achieved by a competent marksman with a rifle using the correct calibre and is the only humane way of taking large game. The bow, even a compound bow is no where near good enough - people who use them have no respect for the animal they are about to maim and possibly kill.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you are happy to see animals injured in the name of sport using shot and powder and indeed will encourage it buy paying money towards them to do it using wepons you yorself say are not appropriate for the job, I would guess that if you shot a shot gun at a target the size of a 10p at the ranges phesant and grouse are taken at there would be a fair few times the shot missed it compleatly let alone being able to hit 10 in there.

the variables you quite for bow hunting exist and are just as important in rifle shooting, wind and fatuge can play huge roles in accuracy and in shotgun shooting.

with a shotgun you are expected to decide if the quarry is legal, a viable target, raise the gun, aim and shoot in a fraction of a second and then you send a cloud of individually nondeadly shot towards a bird that is scared whitles at being chaced form cover by dogs and beaters and hope that enough hit with enough velocity to bring the bird down at least so it can be recovered and if nesacery necked to add to the bag, or it might only get hit by a couple and limp on in pain to recover or die later.
Everything can be painted in a bad light but I am actually in favour of all forms of legal hunting for the pot, killing animals for fun is wrong and vermin control is needed.

Last edited by Pilsbury on Sat Oct 11, 08 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Silas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am not happy to see animals injured in the name of sport - I thought that was pretty obvious from my previous post. I have NEVER bought a pheasant or made any financial contribution to organised shoots.

What has this to do with bowhunting?

Silas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did buy one once - it was on offer in Asda, but that was the only time I have, the pheasants I eat are given to me.

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my apoligies in your first post you said you eat phesant and I asumed wrongly these were paid for not gifts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive