Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Why Shooting Etiquette Matters
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 08 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
I was taught firearm safety as a cadet prior to owning guns myself and it is something that stays with you. Even if it's for one hour I feel a short safety course for anyone wishing to own a firearm would be appropriate.

Fortunately gun accidents are few and far between. I don't know what enthusiasm there is in the home office to enforce or introduce legislation but it may very well help prevent some of the accidents that do happen. Good guns clubs are excellent training grounds on health and safety matters. There is probably a gap in safety awareness for casual field shooters though.

It will be interesting to see if this chap in our club listens to what he's being told over the next few weeks. He won't be gaining full membership if he doesn't that's for sure.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 08 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

field safety has extra aspects on top of good range practices ,gates ,styles ,bushes , mud ,dogs ,random members of the public etc
casual with guns is wrong

GENT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 08 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it’s also more expected with us young uns also, as we do on the whole tend to be a little over eager. That’s where education is paramount I suppose.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 08 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ex father in law lost a chunk of ear and sufferered hearing damage to a middle aged stockbroker who swung through the line for a bird
an inch more badness and an inquest
the chap didnt even understand enough to withdraw from the shoot until told

young or old good and repeated education is best

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 08 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once beat on a commercial shoot, saw all the Merchant Banking oafs staggering out of the lunch tent and went home. All the pheasants ever bred etc - especially if it's me.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 08 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience discriminates against the young but idiocy makes no such distinction.

GENT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 08 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Experience discriminates against the young but idiocy makes no such distinction.

true.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap, with the poor gun safety attitude, was discovered carrying his naked rifle from the car park to the club house last night. He didn't or doesn't have a gun slip.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
The chap, with the poor gun safety attitude, was discovered carrying his naked rifle from the car park to the club house last night. He didn't or doesn't have a gun slip.

He's a headline waitng to be written, IMO. Tell him to get a set of lawn darts and work up from that.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
He's a headline waitng to be written, IMO. Tell him to get a set of lawn darts and work up from that.

The idea is that if he can be educated then another's future maybe a little more comfortable and longer lived. If we chuck him out now it may do more harm than good. Our risk is we suffer an incident at the club.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

The idea is that if he can be educated then another's future maybe a little more comfortable and longer lived. If we chuck him out now it may do more harm than good. Our risk is we suffer an incident at the club.

A private conversation with the Secretary seems in order, then.

PuBS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 08 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice I have had pellets zipping past me when beating but never hit fortunately.
On one occasion the keeper saw and sent the gun home, on the other a word to the shoot owner and same result.
One gun huffed and puffed- "I have paid for this day you know blah blah" Keeper replied-" Guns I can get any time- beaters I cant -GO" except he didnt actually say GO.
Nick

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 08 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
vegplot wrote:
Brownbear wrote:

A private conversation with the Secretary seems in order, then.

polite and firm ,maybe with some good photos of gunshot wounds ,then give em another chance to learn ,maybe

Erikht

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 08 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once told off on the shooting range for holding my rifle "the wrong way." In my defence, I gad previously removed the bolt from the gun, so I felt reasonably safe, but I guess the other guy didn't see that.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 08 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still relevant and as the game season is with us more so

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive