Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
mmmmmmmmackerel

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 05 9:46 pm    Post subject: mmmmmmmmackerel Reply with quote

Well, they are back! Summer takes a while longer to get going up north but the mackerel are certainly back.

I took the boat out for a shakedown run from Newcastle (county down) harbour, as it was the first sea outing this year, plus I had refurbished the trailer.

Weather was mixed, quite sunny but with a bonkers offshore wind that made for a fair old chop.

Well, despite being a bit rusty in trailer reversing I got us launched and underway, taking it easy as the waves were pushing in towards the stern of the boat. Got about 300 yards offshore, cut the engine and drifted.

Had to wait about 30mins until the first bite but we had a manic 10 minute spell and got ourselves 15 lovelies! Beautiful things, a deep green tiger striped colour when they are first landed, slowly fading to petrol blue after the obligatory knock on the head.

As expected the tide had taken us a good mile offshore, so we decided to head back in, this time I got to head through the waves so picked the boat up on it's plane and crashed our way back! pretty good fun and I got to cover myself in spray (careful Tahir)

Had a great bbq this evening, 2 hour fresh mackeral, either devilled, cooked with butter and green chillies or just plain with lime juice. Fantastic end to the weekend.

Kept 4 back for mackerel pate tomorrow!

nettie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 05 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sooo jealous. Mackerel is one of my favourite fish and is sadly lacking around here, unless I want to pay a quid for a couple of measly smoked strips of it in T***o's. I'd love to go fishing for them too but I don't think there are too many around Southend!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 05 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southend-on-sea? get down to the pier with the mackerel feathers and you'll be laughing.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided against the mackeral pate, I really want to experiment with preserving all the mackeral I should catch over the summer months. I just finished a batch of soused mackeral which is cooling so will try that for my lunch tomorrow.

Anyone had any experience of preserving fish? Potted mackeral, rollmops etc?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 05 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done soused mackerel with fish from (very good) local fishmonger - delicious, nutricious - and good value for money. But undoubtedly not a patch on yours.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive