links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
grapevine

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 08 10:16 pm    Post subject: grapevine Reply with quote

had an old vine for a few years but it is seeded can anybody tell me agood seedless variety thanks

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 08 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James is one person on here who'd know

James

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 08 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lakemont" is regarded as a safe bet. It's a white seedless which can be grown outdoors across most of the UK, although does better under glass or against a warm south wall. It produces a high yield of large bunches of medium to tightly packed small to medium grapes which have a full, fruity flavour. In good years, it can develop a slight muscat flavour.

I've just bought this variety having discussed different possibilities with Brian Edwards from the National vine collection. He recommeneded this to me. If you hold off for a year, I'll have cuttings available!

The other options which you could consider are "Himrod" and "Interlaken". They're all siblings from the same cross, so there's not a huge difference between them.

They're all hybrid vines so they show hybrid vigor and have some resistance to mildew. Apparently the bunches on Lakemont can be so tight that they can suffer from bunch rot. This risk can be reduced (and the size of the berries increased) by thinning the bunches after berry set in early summer.

Sunnybank vine nursery, which holds the National Vine Collection is a wonderful resource, offering a shocking number of vines at extremely competative prices. Last week, they still had a few Lakemont vines available (they're sending out this years vines at the momment). I can't recommend them highly enough.

If you're looking for a red variety, I've heard good things about "Relience".
Another variety that I notice Sunnybank are offering is the black grape ES 3-22-18. This is a variety bred by Elmer Swenson in Minnesota. All his varieties are very hardy, suited to cold outdoor locations, early maturing and desease resistant. However, many Swenson varieties dont yield that highly.

(edit: no matter what you grow, dont expect the very large grapes like you buy. These are treated with plant hormones to enlarge them. Non-hormone treated grapes will be smaller, but more flavoursome)

cuff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 08 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive