Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
tune up
Page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
 Message
Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 08 5:07 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Frewen wrote:
I think Chrispystix found one very unhelpful one earlier today

Good job there are two in town


There's a local one like that - run by a wizened gnome, a bloke of about 50 whose head wobbles about as he talks, and a youth whose mother clearly had a craving for lumps of lead whilst she was carrying him. They seem almost never to sell a gun - the stock of rifles at least barely changes from one year to the next - and the only customers I have ever seen in there are local chavs buying knives to stab each other with.

They sold me some dud ammo, and when I returned it they blew bubbles of spit down their grimy chins as they laughed at my foolishness in expecting my money back. Perhaps needless to say I have not returned.

tony.s



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 08 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

it's a 5.5/.22 with an hawke eclipse sight.some on here are only giving negative views about hawke scopes.my reason for asking about upping the pressure is because the silencer fitted is about three inches longer than the bsa one which i reckon would allow for the destabilisation of the pellet ie lengthening the barrel and as such a more true trajectory allowing for more power?points about legality of it accepted.

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 08 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tony.s wrote:
the silencer fitted is about three inches longer than the bsa one which i reckon would allow for the destabilisation of the pellet ie lengthening the barrel and as such a more true trajectory allowing for more power?


the sound moderator shouldn't make any difference to the trajectory or accuracy - it's not an extension of the barrel, and if the projectiles are touching any port of the moderator they'll be going all over the place.

Air rifles are tuned to the power that will give the pellet the most stable trajectory. Even FAC air rifles need to be carefully calibrated on their higher power in order to ensure accuracy. Charge, projectile weight, rifling pitch, barrel length and weight - these are all highly variable and must all work together in order to ensure accuracy. It isn't just a matter of turning up the power knob.

If your air rifle lacks the power you require, your best bet would be a .22LR or a .17HMR firearm.

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21297
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 08 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Have you compared performance with and without the moderator? If you're getting a large spread of shots, with the moderator in place then as BB says it could be a contact issue and a change of moderator may be required. However, try pellets of different mass/makes as it's the cheaper option.

tony.s



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 08 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

thnx chaps ,think i'll try it out with original bsa silencer against one fitted and see what happens.does the difference between the 11.18lbs/ft its tested at and the legal 12 max going to have any major detriment.ps using air arms pellets at the mo.

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 08 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tony.s wrote:
does the difference between the 11.18lbs/ft its tested at and the legal 12 max going to have any major detriment.ps using air arms pellets at the mo.


It should have been factory-tuned for maximum accuracy - try different pellets until you get the ones that give the tightest groups. The power difference between what you have and the legal maximum is going to make no appreciable difference to your rifle's stoping power. You just have to put your shot in the right place.

RichardW



Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 8417
Location: Llyn Peninsular North Wales
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 08 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tony.s wrote:
thnx chaps ,think i'll try it out with original bsa silencer against one fitted and see what happens.does the difference between the 11.18lbs/ft its tested at and the legal 12 max going to have any major detriment.ps using air arms pellets at the mo.


The power you get deppends on the rifle AND the pellet. Some pellets will give higher & some lower power.
Springers tend to give better power with lighter pellets & PCP's with heavier pellets. The legal limit is 12 but that with ANY pellet the police choose to test it with not the pellets you actualy use. So you could already be over the legal limit. Buy a selection pack of pellets & then test its power with all of them from super heavy to ultra lights youy might be supprised. Whilst doing it dont just blat them off actualy check them for acuracy too so you can choose the most accurate pellet for YOUR rifle.

Richard

PS how are you testing your rifle?

tony.s



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 08 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

i've got a piece of ply at twenty metres with a bought in target,i fire my spring hw 99s at it with iron sights and embed the pellet well into the ply then the bsa ultra multi shot and it doesn't embed as deep.i use pellets as recommended for each rifle by manufacturer and gun shop.i can kill a rabbit at over thirty metres with hw on iron sights but not with new better improved bsa.tried everything, was infantry soldier for 7.5 years and know marksmanship principles in my sleep backwards in several languages etc etc.only been out once with new rifle only answer i come up with is it sights at 20m but over that nothing so is the power test wrong or barrel bent? thnx.

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 21297
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 08 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Is your spring hw 99s over the 12ft.lb legal limit? It might be worth taking your BSA to a gun smith or gun club who can chronograph it and work out what its actual muzzle energy is.

Lloyd



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Posts: 2693

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 08 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Have a rummage in here Tony. They have large sections on the Ultra Multi.

http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 08 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tony.s wrote:
i've got a piece of ply at twenty metres with a bought in target,i fire my spring hw 99s at it with iron sights and embed the pellet well into the ply then the bsa ultra multi shot and it doesn't embed as deep.i use pellets as recommended for each rifle by manufacturer and gun shop.i can kill a rabbit at over thirty metres with hw on iron sights but not with new better improved bsa.tried everything, was infantry soldier for 7.5 years and know marksmanship principles in my sleep backwards in several languages etc etc.only been out once with new rifle only answer i come up with is it sights at 20m but over that nothing so is the power test wrong or barrel bent? thnx.


The only way to know the power setting for sure is to get someone to chronograph the projectile. One thing to check is that you're not resting the barrel on anything - the Ultra has a spindly barrel projecting from the heavy reciever that mounts the scope. If you're using a rest with the barrel on it it can put your shooting badly off, and it wouldn't show in the scope.

tony.s



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

thanks to lloyd,brownbear etc got some usefull info off of bsa owners site as well.looks like run off a couple of charges and a few tins of pellets to "bed in" the rifle and nothing to worry about.as a matter of interest if i hadn't bought the bsa and was asking for a reccommendation which rifle would you advise?

Brownbear



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 14929
Location: South West
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 08 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

tony.s wrote:
as a matter of interest if i hadn't bought the bsa and was asking for a reccommendation which rifle would you advise?


Anschutz .17HMR.

tony.s



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 08 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

just to let the people know who helped me out before, i shot my first pheasant the other day at a range of 25 metres.
dropped it out of the tree wings flutterring, by the time i'd legged it the 25 metres it was on the floor dead.
two days later when i plucked it i discovered i'd hit it where i thought, middle of breast and found the pellet inside with it's vital organs.
after all my initial worries on my BSA purchase it hasn't let me down and the pheasant was even enjoyed by my wife and 10yr old daughter.
wood pigeon next target, any suggestions on best way to cook, i casseroled the pheasant(well wife did)?

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 33085
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 08 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

avoid shots to the crop
i cut the breast off woodies and roast in a hot oven larded with good bacon fat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->