About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Help with plant ID please
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah now about the alkanet...is the poisonous kind or the non poisonous? (opening a can of worms here )

i don't think the last one is currants. they were cut back all the way to the ground this winter and that's how much they've come up over the last few months (they're about 3 feet tall now) maybe it's the rose cab mentioned.

these are from the communal garden and i think i'd have noticed currants last summer! there aren't any flowers on it yet but i'll keep you posted on it

i'll have to get a pic of the quince tree, it's barely flowering right now though

i'm certain i found a lot of chickweed too so i'll try to get some of that photographed. is it still tasty this time of year?

cab

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButteryHOLsomeness wrote:
ah now about the alkanet...is the poisonous kind or the non poisonous? (opening a can of worms here )

Evergreen alkanet. It's poisonous.

Quote:
i don't think the last one is currants. they were cut back all the way to the ground this winter and that's how much they've come up over the last few months (they're about 3 feet tall now) maybe it's the rose cab mentioned.

It might be a guelder rose, have a look for pictures of Viburnum opulus. But from the way ot was pruned and came back I rather doubt that possible ID now.

Quote:
i'm certain i found a lot of chickweed too so i'll try to get some of that photographed. is it still tasty this time of year?

One way to find out

I should imagine that it'll be good and tasty. The stuff we just had in a salad was really nice.

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a photo of what i think is chickweed here

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

anyone know what this is

another photo of honesty and blue alkanet, so lovely

i've added quite a few photos of various things, several of the communal garden and the walk down my street if anyone is interested in looking

https://photobucket.com/albums/y208/InGraphicDetail/

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think the middle one is a geranium family, but whether a wild one (tumty tum, names escape me, in your books look at cranesbill and herb robert or am I making that last up?), or an escapee..we have lots of geraniums in the garden, some deliberate, some leftovers, and all very pretty but not edible.

I don't know about the first one - it doesn't look like what I thought was chickweed, but I think I might be about to learn some thing!

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking the second one might be geranium as well... the gardens here are very mature so they may have been planted intentionally once upon a time and have since self seeded, alot!

there's a whole blanket of what i think is chickweed down the road from the house where i took this photo, it looks like the ground needs a good shave it's so matted with it! i think it may be my first truly wild forage (rowan berries are too easy to spot, they don't count!)

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok one more and that's it for tonight. i doubt it's edible but it's so gorgeous i'd like to know what it is so i can buy some for my mil's garden as a gift

if you needed a larger shot click on my link and have a nosey through my photo's... if you click on the image you want to see you'll get a decent sized photo to look at

https://photobucket.com/albums/y208/InGraphicDetail/

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Buttery, that link is asking me to log in? As though it is "your" way in rather than a guest...not sure what to do about that.

At a distant glance that looks like a Japanese quince...there's one in my sister's garden and it's very weedy but otherwise similar; flowering a couple of weeks ago in suburban Surrey might fit in with you being in Edinburgh. But I can't guarantee that...it might produce edible fruit though. Again, wait for our botanical experts to turn up!

nettie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 05 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second one does look like a geranium of some kind, but it's not herb robert, the leaves are more feathery.

cab

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could post the geranium when it flowers, that would help. I think I know what it is; it's one of those ones on the tip of my tongue, and is going to get at me till I find my flower book.

The chickweed one looks very like chickweed; compare with pictures of Stellaria media online (such as the one here:
https://cabd0.tripod.com/cabsmushroompage/id11.html )

Can't see much of the red flowered one... Looks pretty though. Can't currently get at the larger pic.

Last edited by cab on Mon May 16, 05 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it's definately chickweed!!! woohoo, my first find

thanks to everyone for your help with this, i'm quite chuffed...

thanks for that link cab, there are some excellent photos there.

cab

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButteryHOLsomeness wrote:
yes, it's definately chickweed!!! woohoo, my first find

thanks to everyone for your help with this, i'm quite chuffed...

thanks for that link cab, there are some excellent photos there.

Gosh, thank you. It ought to be great web site, but I have done nothing to maintain or upgrade it for well over a year.

Enjoy the chickweed

helen_Mc

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 9:06 am    Post subject: a rasberry? Reply with quote

i think your mystery plant in the first set of pictures is an ornamental rasberry, rubus odoratus.
should have beautiful pink or white flowers soon enough.

judith

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:
That second one does look like a geranium of some kind, but it's not herb robert, the leaves are more feathery.

You will know if it is herb robert because it pongs to high heaven.

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 05 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the currant could be Flowering currant: look out for short spikes of pink flowers followed by small black fruits. I don't know if it's edible: all I know is the whole thing smells of cat's pee!

The geranium: should flower soon, send a pic when it does and I'll ID it for you.

The rather out of focus one looks like a deciduous Rhododendron, usually called an Azalea. A clearer pic would help!

Any others?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 05 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honesty
wild strawberry (not primrose)
wild strawberry again
honesty
honesty
green alkanet
gren alkanet
dunno
dunno

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive