Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Many wild fruits this weekend

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 8:32 am    Post subject: Many wild fruits this weekend Reply with quote

Picked a basket full (8lb or so) of gooseberries, along with whitecurrants, dewberries, redcurrants, and cherries. First few blackcurrants of the year too.

We now have enough redcurrants for jelly, a big batch of gooseberry jam waiting to be labelled and stored, and the remnants of a smashing summer pudding (which also had some home grown raspberries in)

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you found all of those wild?

i'm living in the wrong country

i take it you still have a lot of hedgerows still intact in your area?

that's fantastic cab... i'm green with envy!

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found cherries wild everywhere I've lived, but here in Cambridge it seems like local councils and developers plant fat, juicy cherries wherever they get a chance to.

Gooseberries I've found in most places I've lived; in truth, I've found only a couple of good bushes here. It's just that one of them is a MONSTER.

Currants... Well, red, white and blackcurrants grow by an old disused railway line here, a spot that is a haven for wildlife (and foraging!), and which might shortly be turned into a 'guided bus route', which will combine the efficiency of road traffic congestion with the inconvenience of railways

Dewberries you find all over the place, but people tend to overlook them.

Keep your eye open, and none of the above are rare.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be walking round with my eyes closed.

Cab, you ought to rent yourself out (I hope that's the first time anyone's said that to you). £50 for a couple of hours walking with people round their local area pointing out all the goodies to be had

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes years walking round a locality to get all the goodies. Even now I find myself spotting new stuff along routes I've been walking for five years. The trick is to keep at it, keep your eyes open, and be patient.

@Calli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 11:19 am    Post subject: Time Zones.... Reply with quote

I think we are several time zones behind here in Galway. Nothing ready yet apart from an abundance of wild strawberries. Am waiting though for the blackberries here, majority of hedges solely blackberriesand sloes....We could be onfor a good Christmas!!!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted a nice damson tree during our walk on sunday, hopefully it will be providing some nice fruit in a couple of months.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive