Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Spring Salmon

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 6:55 pm    Post subject: Spring Salmon Reply with quote

Hi folks,

1st Spring Salmon caught on my Local River today, not by me I add.

This river flows through Industrial towns and then the out skirts of Edinburgh and was once heavily polluted, so great that it is making a recovery.

Safely released

Went

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish. Would you eat it or are you concerned about pollution and heavy metals being present in the salmon?

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you allowed to fish salmon this early? Our season only starts end of May/mid June. How much do you pay for licence?

About catch and release...sticking my neck out....I only release the small fish and only if they seem unharmed. I certainly fish for the pot! Fishing is great fun, but I would never let a fish go through the pain of being forcefully dragged on land just because I enjoyed the sensation. When I have enough I stop and go home.

The flip side? I still have 40 trout dinners in the fridge to go through before May

pricey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this mihto it has changed over here quite a lot in the last 15 years or so.

You can just about fish all year round for salmon in the UK and Ireland with the earliest opener being the Drowes in Eire which opens on the 1st of January and the latest closing date being 15th of December on the rivers of Devon and Cornwall which means that there are only 16 days a year when you cannot wet a line for salmon - beat that Kola and Alaska. The truth is salmon run 52 weeks of the year.

https://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx

Nice fish BTW

mihto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have very strict fishing dates for salmon. Our main run is in spring/summer and we want to give the wild fish a fighting chance. They spawn in late autumn in our rivers.

Fishing with nets in the ocean has been forbidden for years and years. Today a few legal "traps" are still seen in the fjords, they make a nostalgic sights for those of us who still remember when salmon was plentiful here.

Our problem with escaped farmed salmon is getting worse. They will of course mix with the wild fish as well as transmitting disease. Don't start me on this unless you are really interested.

Iff truth should be said and everybody here keeps mum..poached salmon is my favourite fish

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely....*said jealously*

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor, I want a salmon starter for my steak now
A.

pricey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mihto wrote:
Our problem with escaped farmed salmon is getting worse. They will of course mix with the wild fish as well as transmitting disease. Don't start me on this unless you are really interested.

Iff truth should be said and everybody here keeps mum..poached salmon is my favourite fish

Start a new thread about it, I am very interested in this and other fishing issue's in the UK right now and would like to here what it is like abroad, did you know that by the end of the year you might not be able to fish from your own boat in the UK, just as the wife said I can buy one

Iggle Piggle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 09 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian33568 wrote:
Nice fish. Would you eat it or are you concerned about pollution and heavy metals being present in the salmon?

I don't eat the Trout that I catch in the same river as it could be cleaner, as for the Salmon I've never caught on although don't fish for them much.

Season started on this river on the 2nd February, no license needed in Scotland but season permit is £30.00....it's hardly the Tweed, Tay, Spey etc.

East coast of Scotland's rivers are fairing better than those in the West as we don't have the scurge of fish farms in Estuaries like they do in the west, it's a complete disgrace that they are allowed when they appear to be wiping out the runs of Sea Trout and Salmon, and I say that from a conservational point of view and not as an angler.

Anyway great fish and well done to the angler

I'm looking forward to casting small dry flies to the wee brownies when the weather gets warmer

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 09 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cock fish, I hope he fairs well and sires many 0000`s of young.

I gave up fishing the Tay as I do not agree, though each to there own, with putting back such a hard fighting fish. I would prefer that there was a season limit and a ban on gravid fish............however it would be hard to police.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive