Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cost of re-felting a flat roof
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the credit cruch is bringing prices down

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OH has fibre glassed all the flat roofs here on the house, and the tree house.

If you want any details I am sure I can tell you how. He has building experience, but reall it is just following the process and moving fairly quickly, as well as having someone to shout out to to apass things.

robin wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have what sounds like a similar situation linked semi our flat roof is about 18sqm and it needs to tuck in under the sloping tiled roof one side and then roll up and over a parapet thingy the other side. Quotes started at £1600 plus Vat and we settled at just under £1000 including for a three layer system with guarantee.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 09 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend does this for a living. Just spoken to him. He reckons around 40-45 quid a square metre for flat, uninsulated roofing. More than this if it needs insulating, and more if you want an insurance backed warranty. HTH.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 09 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flats horrid to own fine to mend
hot asphalt works long term ,maybe 100 quid a metre with the fancy bits
build a pitched roof over the flat one is cheap and simple
flat roofs are bread and butter to trade

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 09 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing it yourself is fairly simple.

the diy stores such as wickes display "How to do" leaflets in their stores. the tricky bit is the edges and upstands etc, but if you take your time, how difficult can it be?

why not have a downsizer flat roofing weekend.

6t

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 09 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leaflets are also online and are useful to read even if you don't plan to do it yourself as they give you some idea of what the builders should be doing.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/pcat/64roofs

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 09 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest is that I bumped into the builder who did our extension 2/3 years ago in the pub and have basically sweet talked him into letting me have his roofing man for a couple of days on the promise of home made lemon cake and a bit of money also, but much cheaper than the quotes we have had and I know he will do a good job as he competely re-roofed our entire house except the garage

My OH called ma a 'cake-whore'

neildh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 09 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Friend does this for a living. Just spoken to him. He reckons around 40-45 quid a square metre for flat, uninsulated roofing. More than this if it needs insulating, and more if you want an insurance backed warranty. HTH.

Hello i live just outside Hereford & my flat roof is leaking, that quote is it for felt or some other material, thanks

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 09 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. I'll ask if I see him. And I'll try and remember his business name for you....

neildh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 09 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
I have no idea. I'll ask if I see him. And I'll try and remember his business name for you....

Thanks

Sandy`n`Andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 13 5:24 pm    Post subject: felt roof Reply with quote

Hi i do this for a living and have just priced a roof at £40 a square meter and that includes new board as well as two layers of high performance felt if you get quotes and think they are high ring them and ask them to give you a brake down of the quote. you should get at least a 15 year guarantee as most felt used comes with a 15 to 20 year guarantee.

Jb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 13 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently paid about £1500 for an 18m2 flat roof to be rereroofed. That included three layers, replacing about 3-4m2 of rotten boards under the roof and a 10 year guarantee. We did get a cheaper quote but as soon as he said that "we don't have to tell the VAT so we can do it cheaper" he wasn't getting the job.

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 13 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of re-felting a flat roof Reply with quote

bernie-woman wrote:
I am in the process of getting quotes for the re-felting of a 14 metre squared flat roof - is there such a thing as an approximate cost figure per metre squared that would give me a vague idea if I am being ripped off - it seems almost impossible to find anyone who will give me an insurance backed quote but the first quote has come in and seems high to me

Anyone any thoughts?

I wonder if they had it done ad how much they paid, in 2009?

sg

travellingoneills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 13 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, just one thing with the flat roof guys, try and get up there while they are working and make sure they are raising the edge right up under any lead flashing on the main wall. Should be taking it up as high as possible. IE if the garage adjoins the main house, there will be a line of flashing that runs out over the flat roof, they should make a nice long tongue to tuck up under this after having folded back the flashing carefully. Check they have not cracked the flashing or its leaky time when the next storm arrives Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive