Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bee and Skep Weekend
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 09 11:31 pm    Post subject: Bee and Skep Weekend Reply with quote

Earlier in the year I asked if anyone would like to make a skep and this weekend has been organised as a result of that. Regardless of inviting a local Skepmaker to come and teach us,and having Maureen from the Local Bee Keeping Society here to oversee the hives, this is a Downsizer Member only weekend so please feel free to come and share your Bee themed craft skills or goods.

If you own your own Bee suit please bring it along.

Date: Friday19th-Sunday21st June 2009.

Where: Cwmoernant Farm, Carmarthen ,Wales.

Some of you have visited the farm before but if you wish to know more then please visit my website that Sally has been generously helping me with.We have been working through the winter to improve the facilities for your extra comfort.

(N.B. The LoveShack is already taken and Mrs F has reserved her family space in the Swallow Barn )

Sally and Gareth have agreed to do the catering and as this weekend falls on Midsummer they will be providing a Honey Feast for the Saturday Night.

The first event of the weekend will be on Saturday morning around 10 o,clock with Mr. Chortle Pink Pants which will be a First Aid talk for everyone. We are all aware of possible allergies etc. so ,with the talk and local hospital approxamately only five minutes away we hope to reassure everyone that we have made this weekend as safe as possible to attend.
Mr. Pink Pants has also been a Bee keeper for over 20 years and will be sharing his knowledge over the weekend.
He will be writing a synopsis of what he will be sharing with us .

The Skepman will be with us from 10am-5pm and will provide everything we need to make a skep for ourselves. He asks for a fee of £30 per person to cover all his costs.
I know that some of you who said they would like to make a skep sadly cannot make this date so there could still be places free on this skill sharing.Reserve your place to make a skep when you p.m. me to book for the weekend.

The cost of the weekend will be £35 per adult.
£25 per child.
under fives free.

Im sure that there will be more to add as time goes by but hopefully this will get the weekend started. There are a lot of BEE Aware events in Wales at the moment so there is Hope; and we shall be able to share some Good Bee Keeping Skills,making the wellbeing of the Bees a priority, and have a wonderful time as well.

Dear moderator, please can I have a sticky on this so I can keep track of this easily.

resistance is fertile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fantastic, this is what Downsizer is all about! Wish I could make it as I am keen to learn more about skeps.

Give her a sticky Mods!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me down as a definitely probably. Sounds great!

chez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us please - 2 adults, 2 babies.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest an extra- if anyone is bringing on bee friendly plants, how about a plant swap? Just pot up a couple of extra plants than you plan on planting out yourself and bring em along to swap.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't frankly give a stuff about Skeps (whatever they are) but will see if Snowball can get off work so we can go I'll enjoy simply skivvying for Sally and Garath

Last edited by jema on Fri Mar 20, 09 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

chez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
I'll enjoy simply skivvying for Sally and Garath

Tart

RichardW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just skep making & skep bee keeping or will there be stuff about other keeping methods?

We are planning on keeping bees in a TBH (have just made one)

Would there be any chance of a spare swarm about that time?

Or are you better off getting a local swarm?

Richard

joanne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are much better getting a local swarm - they will be localised to your area and therefore likely to be more robust - However a word of warning - Nuc's and swarms are going to be in high demand this year so be prepared to pay upto £185 (Thornes price)

Ginkotree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou very much for the sticky

I think the plant swap is a brilliant idea. The Co-Op have been giving away little packets of seeds that the bees like.I have planted lots so hope the farm will be in full bloom when you come.

We will have at least three people here over the weekend that are EXTREEMELY knowledgable about bees.So feel free to pick thier brains, they LOVE sharing what they Know as all are passionate about Bee Welfare , the honey is your reward for looking after them NOT something we can just take for granted teaching.
Maureen is the person the local council calls to collect swarms in the Carmarthenshire area and has been keeping bees for over twenty years.
The Skep man is also a long standing respected bee keeper in Pembrookeshire and Mr. Pink Pants is also a bee keeper of over twenty years so with the bee keepers that will come along as well we shall have a wealth of knowledge and ideas.Not to mention the fun we shall have.
Mr Pink Pants has offered to bring all his teaching equiptment on first aid and Bee Keeping. I have asked him to write a little of what he will be sharing so watch out for that.He has dvds and stuff

SKEPS by the way,(sorry I explained on my poll but not here) are the old fashioned , from medieval times, bee hive made from a special grass. We shall learn all about them while we make them.

Do Skivvys need the caravan so they are closer to the sink

Ginkotree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resistance is fertile wrote:
Sounds fantastic, this is what Downsizer is all about! Wish I could make it as I am keen to learn more about skeps.

Give her a sticky Mods!

Sorry you cannot make it, thanks for the support though

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginkotree wrote:

Do Skivvys need the caravan so they are closer to the sink

If we can make it, the Caravan would be really appreciated, I always feel very guilty about grabbing it but between allergies and needing the blasted notebook on tap it really is a good thing to get.

RichardW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
Nuc's and swarms are going to be in high demand this year so be prepared to pay upto £185 (Thornes price)

I guess the hive will stay empty then.

Thats mugs money.

Richard

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm won't be able to make it Penny. Sorry.

Richard - join the local BKA they will be your best bet for finding some local bees.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to coem Penny, but sadly won't be able to get away from the shop at that time of year

Hope you all have a wonderful time.... I'm sure you will

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive