Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Red Elderberries

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 6:16 pm    Post subject: Red Elderberries Reply with quote

Today I came across lots of bushes that look a lot like elder. Only thing is they are in fruit and it's red. I know common elder doesn't fruit till well into September which is why I'm unsure. Does anyone know if red elder would be in fruit at this time of year and if this is it?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like some form of Rowan to me, a bit of digging turns up Sargent's Rowan but even for that it seems early.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure its not rowan, or even one of the varients. will try to work it out

cab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a rowan. Doesn't look quite right for a red elder either (there are red varieties, you see them more often in some parts of Scotland than elsewhere). Did it smell like an elder (nasty smell to the leaves)?

santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some more searching and it matches red elder. https://www.enature.com/flashcard/show_flash_card.asp?recordNumber=TS0426 and it says "Fruit: 5/16" (8 mm) in diameter; a round berry, bright red or sometimes orange, juicy, with 1-seeded, poisonous nutlets; maturing in summer." I think I shall be cautious and stay clear after finding another reference to it being poisonous here https://www.mostlynatives.com/notes/sambucusracemosa.htm

Still... I'm totally baffled as to why you would want to, as it says, make a poisonous wine.

santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab, didn't see your post before my last. I'm actually in Scotland.. never smelt the leafs. I was sure red elder could be used as you would common elder and those sites I found were referring to North American varieties I think. Could it be different? Has anyone used red elderberries?

cab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any books handy, but I'll look later to confirm; I don't think it's THAT red elder. That one you refer to is the American species, I think our native one is a subspecies of S. nigra. As I say, I need to check that later on.

cab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santa wrote:
Cab, didn't see your post before my last. I'm actually in Scotland.. never smelt the leafs. I was sure red elder could be used as you would common elder and those sites I found were referring to North American varieties I think. Could it be different? Has anyone used red elderberries?

You know, we really ought to stop crossing our postings like this, I didn't see that before posting MY last comment

I believe it's useful in the same way as elder; I'm currently wasting time while burning some info to disc at work, but I'll check my books later when I get home.

cab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then. The Complete Book of British Berries lists a red berried introduced species, Sambucus racemosa (that's the one in the links), and says that it's naturalised in various places, including East Scotland. Richard Mabey backs that up in Flora Britannica.

So I was wrong, it most likely is that species, if elder it is.

It isn't listed as toxic in the berries book, at least not when cooked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive