Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
First chanterelles and boletus

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 10:55 am    Post subject: First chanterelles and boletus Reply with quote

Saw a few little chanterelles in some woods near Salisbury the other day, and also came across some pink cracking boletus (an underrated and common bolete). First of either I've seen this year, keep your eyes open

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: First chanterelles and boletus Reply with quote

cab wrote:
also came across some pink cracking boletus

Are they the same as the red cracking boletus? Small brown things with a cracked top and red blushes to the top but not the stem?

We saw a few a week or so ago after the little rain we had. It's dried up again though.

tawny owl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First chanterelles and boletus Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Are they the same as the red cracking boletus? Small brown things with a cracked top and red blushes to the top but not the stem?

We've got some of these, but neighbour's mushroom book said they weren't recommended for eating because of their bland taste and spongy texture, so we haven't bothered.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First chanterelles and boletus Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

We saw a few a week or so ago after the little rain we had. It's dried up again though.

Errm, yeah, they'd be the same ones. Boletus chrysenteron. Variable little blighter:

https://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5612.asp

Worth having, in my opinion. Very common, dries well, but a bit gooey when cooked from fresh.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First chanterelles and boletus Reply with quote

tawny owl wrote:

We've got some of these, but neighbour's mushroom book said they weren't recommended for eating because of their bland taste and spongy texture, so we haven't bothered.

Ceps they ain't. They're not the king of the genus, not by a long chalk. But I like them, they're useful in things where their texture isn't important. They're good dried, and in pates with other mushrooms they add the distinctive boletus taste.

tawny owl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First chanterelles and boletus Reply with quote

cab wrote:
[Ceps they ain't. They're not the king of the genus, not by a long chalk. But I like them, they're useful in things where their texture isn't important. They're good dried, and in pates with other mushrooms they add the distinctive boletus taste.

Oh well, might go and give them a shot then. We also found some) lemon cup mushrooms?? That sound right - sort of clusters of yellow-ish open cups. Book gave pretty much same advice for those too!

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon cup mushrooms? That's new on me. What are they?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive