Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Software rip-off - how to avoid it!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I miss that one as well, but hey we have to find space for insanely complex and unused menu options somewhere, and so the boring little ones like that just have to go.

gom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
Brownbear wrote:
gom wrote:
I posted the original message because I thought it might be of help to others, I had no idea that it was a contentious issue here, the latest postings did not reflect this and I haven't trawled back through the pages to check for more, why would I?

I am grateful to Open Office for what they do, and I thought others might be too - nothing more to it.

I'm sure nothing was meant by the troll remark

Quite - there are a hard core of very technical people here, who enjoy winding each other up - welcome, and jump right in!

What are your areas of interest, gom?

ETA - I must have been lucky swapping between OpenOffice and MS - I've not had any issues.

Ok, got it, newbie mistake.

GOM = Grumpy Old Man

Interests = Building resilience (buzz word alert) into my life in the face of a crumbling civilization. This translates into managing a small neglected woodland, bringing it and about the same amount of equally neglected pasture back to life.

chez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gom wrote:
GOM = Grumpy Old Man

Interests = Building resilience (buzz word alert) into my life in the face of a crumbling civilization. This translates into managing a small neglected woodland, bringing it and about the same amount of equally neglected pasture back to life.

Wonderful, come and sit down here in Misanthropes Corner and have some cake!

Quite a few of us here are doing the same sort of thing I think ... although we aren't overt in talking about it a lot of the time.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gom wrote:
This translates into managing a small neglected woodland, bringing it and about the same amount of equally neglected pasture back to life.

Same here, I use Ubuntu, Open Office and I'm bringing a few acres of neglected woodland back into use.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if to confirm my point about Ubuntu geekyness... I have Firefox3.5 installed, Ubuntu just went and upgraded Firefox3 and reset that to be the default browser, I need to play about with symbolic links to fix it, I then thought lets stop this happening again by removing Firefox3 and that decided to remove my links so firefox3.5 would once again no longer start.
I know you can get similar issues in windows, but there is a much bigger community trying to resolve things. Given each brand of Linux has its own quirks the problems you get leave you a lot more isolated, and the solutions always seem to me to be a lot more geeky.

gz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on Ubuntu- and I like the fact that it ASKS if I would like each update...so I can choose to accept or ignore.
On other son's computer, which is on windows, it goes ahead- tough!!!

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
I am on Ubuntu- and I like the fact that it ASKS if I would like each update...so I can choose to accept or ignore.
On other son's computer, which is on windows, it goes ahead- tough!!!

To be fair that's a configuration option on windows

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
I know you can get similar issues in windows, but there is a much bigger community trying to resolve things.

Really? There may be a much bigger community using windows but is there really a much bigger community trying to fix things?

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yummersetter wrote:

I loved AmiPro too, and still use WordPro in preference to Microsoft Word. That's just on my computer to use with incoming documents.

I was responsible for introducing AmiPro into Duracell years ago. I chose it over MS Word. It was the better product at the time but it got worse as Word got better.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
jema wrote:
I know you can get similar issues in windows, but there is a much bigger community trying to resolve things.

Really? There may be a much bigger community using windows but is there really a much bigger community trying to fix things?

I am giving the benefit of the doubt here, surely there must be 500x the users on XP than there are any particular Linux version! and so one would help there would be more help available even if the numbers trying to help people fix problems is massively out of proportion.

marigold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:

I was responsible for introducing AmiPro into Duracell years ago.

How long ago? One of my real-life friends started her career at Duracell in the early 80s...

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marigold wrote:
vegplot wrote:

How long ago? One of my real-life friends started her career at Duracell in the early 80s...

I started there in 1986 and left in 1995, this was at Duracell European Technical Centre in Crawley.

marigold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
marigold wrote:
vegplot wrote:

I started there in 1986 and left in 1995, this was at Duracell European Technical Centre in Crawley.

After my friend's time then - I met her at Amex in 1985 (heavens - aren't we ancient?! )

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of myself as young, sprightly and in need of a reality check.

marigold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 09 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I like to think of myself as young, sprightly and in need of a reality check.

Next time you are in Cambridge...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive