About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
DIY Pig ark
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 05 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the electric fence not short out on the grass though? I find myself going around the perimeter of our pig run every few day with the sickle to stop the grass shorting the fence out. I know the farmers around ere don't seem to worry to much so I am assuming that the leccie fence is quite resilliant to grass short outs? Interesting topic though

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, and I also sporadically cut the grass at the bottom. I’ve got a fairly meaty mains powered fencing unit, and whilst any shorts reduce its effectiveness, over a short distance it isn’t a major problem. The pigs still show a lot of respect to it!

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 05 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH good! that is the main. I won't bother with the sickle too often then. Especially as I once cut through the ruddy fence itself with it while chopping the grass. Dint' get a shock luckily (wooden handle must have spared me )

BIDGIEMIRE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 05 11:45 pm    Post subject: PIG ARKS Reply with quote

You want a pig ark. We are smallholders who make them. They are cheap, do the job and you have a choice. email bidgiemire@ukonline.co.uk PS we also do starter kits for would be pig owners [/b]

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 05 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, HGF most impressed with the piccies of your ark - looks brilliant.

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 05 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bidgiemire: part of the thing is, the old chap loves bodging bits of wood together! He also loves the fact that it's usually cheaper to do it himself. The run he built for the birds is fantastic: not too aesthetically pleasing, but it's kept the foxes & badgers out so far. I've been looking at arks, and a design is coming together, based on the ones Tony has at Pig Paradise. Wombat has something similar, and I think that's the way for us to go.

Aled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 05 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great HGF. I'm a couple of years away from getting pigs, but that's just the kind of thing I imagined using. What do you do for wallowing for them?

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 05 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aled wrote:
What do you do for wallowing for them?

Well my experience suggests not to dig them one, as after the first round of trashing their paddock they move on to dig mode. They seem to favour one particular area, and then I simply filled with water! Let them do the work.

Here are the before and after pictures, taken three hours apart!

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedwar moch iawn hapus! (4 very happy pigs). They look marvelous: just the kind of set-up we want. Looking forward to the autumn even more now...

judith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sight of a wallowing pig is the absolute epitome of contentment, it never fails to raise a smile.

Aled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a life!

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why you need that sturdy fence for observation now.

Disturbingly cute though

Gertie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HGF, those pigs are lovely - this is exactly how pigs should be living. You've done an excellent job of their accommodation and surroundings.

Aw, I want pigs now - only thing is they would end up being part of the family and die of old age.

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for you comments! I'll let you know when the next lot arrive. My nephews sow has just had her (and his) first litter early this morning, and I can't resist sharing this piccy with you....these are seriously cute!

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 05 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I've come over all vegetarian again! It's a beautifully taken picture itself though, HGF, congratulations to all involved (tactless to ask for names I suppose?!).

Why is it that human babies aren't that cute?

Then again, I generally prefer pigs to grown up humans as well...present company excepted of course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive