Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
The Trials and Tribulations of Building a Skinner Moth Trap.

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 9:25 am    Post subject: The Trials and Tribulations of Building a Skinner Moth Trap. Reply with quote

My son and I started to build a Skinner moth trap in June 2008 from plans that we found on the internet. We only used recycled materials .
The only real expense was incurred was when I picked up a mercury bulb and socket from the local electrical warehouse. Unfortunately, they forgot to tell me that I also needed a control box to go with it.
I'd like to post pictures of the construction and the results of our first night. Needless to say, I was very excited at the thought of our first night mothing. Since then, we have modified the lamp and thankfully our photographic skills have improved somewhat.

Here are the plans that we followed.
https://www.meades.org/moths/moths.html

As I mentioned, we soon met up with a spot of bother.
Having built the box and bought the mercury bulb along with a socket, we tried the bulb and it blew straight away. Unbeknown to me, you can't just plug a mercury vapour bulb in and expect it not to blow. Following this, I started to look at investing in a control unit and a new bulb.
Argh well, you live and learn I supose.

So that the first night wasn't a total loss, we ended up using the trap with a 100 watt energy saving bulb.
I went out to check it that first morning and saw that we had instant success in the form of one or two moths.
The design requires egg boxes to be placed at the bottom of the trap so that any insects that are attracted to the trap have somewhere to hide. I also saw that we had attracted quite a few cockchaffer beetles and a few small moths.

Here are the pictures of us actually making the trap. I trust that they will be of help to anyone wishing to make their own.

Some of the raw materials. Recycled plywood.

Made into a 40x 40 cm box.

With perspex and a bulb added. The egg boxes are for the moths to hide themselves under after they have entered the trap.

We set it under the trees by the honeysuckle.

The trap was set all night.

I caught loads of moths and cockchaffer beetles.

Finally, here's the link that I used to purchase my second mercury bulb. The results from using these bulbs are far superior to even the brightest of household bulb. They were able to sell me a bulb that didn't need a control box, which was a great saving. The bulb that you need to ask for, is known as a balanced bulb and from memory, ours cost around fourteen pounds or so.

https://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Mercury-Elliptical?leadsource=17&gclid=CJm1uJPR7JMCFQpPQgodGGOvzA

To conclude, here are a series of pictures that I'm extremely proud of. There are some beautiful moths out there that most people never get to see, why not make your own trap ?

I thought at first that a piece of silver birch had been blown into the trap but I was mistaken.

I found this last one amazing and it was only when it moved that it gave itself away.

Have fun.

wipka84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look great as does the box you've made.

Have you tried this sites keyword search to identify them and for anyone else to have a go:

https://ukmoths.org.uk/

Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata)
Elephant Hawk-moth (Deilephila elpenor)
Buff-tip (Phalera bucephala)

That was fun!

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
I'm a member of a couple of forums, including the one you've metioned.

Silas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, boge.

Have you got enough for a meal yet?

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit too Cwunchy !

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one is a buff tip, fantastic camoflage.
Try your trap in different habitats & you will be even more amazed at the variety of species.
& don't discount the ickle ones, under a magnifying glass some are real gems.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't see wipka84s post.
If you jar them & put them in the fridge for a couple of hours you can then arrange them for photographing on foliage, branches etc & they won't fly away till they have warmed up.
Link to one who had a chilly night

SandraR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger that looks very similar to ours ...just slightly different lid. Fun isn't it.

Below photos of ours.

[url=https://www.downsizer.net/gallery/13372/moth+trap+%285%29.JP
G][/url]

Different lid and bulb used.

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in my teens, I went down to Coverack in Cornwall on a weeks cricket tour of the region and my one abiding memory wasn't the cricket but the number of moth fanciers sulphur lights on the cliff tops. Unbeknown to me at the time, but apparently it was and presumably still is hotspot for migratory moths.

SandraR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Portland Bill - Dorset is another good place, also for migratory birds. My old stomping ground

https://www.portlandbirdobs.org.uk/index.htm

sueshells

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can still remember, and it must be close to 50 years ago, finding a Death's Head Hawkmoth outside our back door following a big thunderstorm. It was amazing. I love moths and beetles.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thing cheepy cheep cant see this

sueshells

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
good thing cheepy cheep cant see this

???? - please elaborate.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 09 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 hrs hatched ,catching moths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Authors Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive