About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
It doesn't get much better than this!
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that's MY kind of recycling judith! maybe you can share some of your newly learned techniques with us, rag rugs are on my list of things to learn

i'm really big on never letting fabric go to the landfill unless it absolutely has to. you can make paper out of wool and cotton, do crafts, make different clothing, rag rugs etc there's just no reason to waste it!

got both my dehydrator and my sewing book today AND my new version of foods for free...decisions decisions

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops forgot to answer your question judith!

it's a singer 6240 super elegance...

the woman i got it from reckons it's from the late 70's or early 80's. She bought it second hand from a well known and respected sewing shop up in the haymarket area here in edinburgh (one of my next ports of call ) it seems to be in good nick though i'll have it serviced soon, any idea how much a basic service is? i'm assuming that's a bit like an oil change on a car?

thanks for your tips about checking it before i get started. it should be very clean but it's worth doing anyway. i felt sorta sorry for the woman as i was taking it out the door, it was like i was taking away a beloved pet or child!!!

judith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButteryHOLsomeness wrote:
i felt sorta sorry for the woman as i was taking it out the door, it was like i was taking away a beloved pet or child!!!

I know how she feels - I don't really NEED my old one, but it has given such good service, I don't think I can send it away just yet.

I don't know the model you have, but the old Singers were always good solid machines so I am sure it will be great. 'Fraid I've no idea what a service costs - I've always done it myself. I don't think it should be much though, particularly if it is in good nick.

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm just about to get the sewing machine out and going. it came with most of the extra supplies but no oil so i bought some on ebay and i'll go easy on it until it arrives.

could i possibly use veg oil or WD40 instead of the singer oil?

don't worry i won't put any in until someone has answered me! we were advised by someone at the forestry commision to use clean veg oil for our chainsaw and that worked a treat! and i use veg oil for squeaky doors so i'm hoping that will work but i want to be sure

anway i'm going to mend some trousers of dh's and then start sewing some bits together for the beginning of my first quilt YAY!!!

got to go set up the table and have a good look at the machine

oh, just had our first seasoned sweet potato crisps out of the dehydrator mmmmmm wish the pototoes weren't so expensive i'd eat these over walkers any day

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 05 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButteryHOLsomeness wrote:
just had our first seasoned sweet potato crisps out of the dehydrator mmmmmm wish the pototoes weren't so expensive i'd eat these over walkers any day

They can't be more expensive than Walkers can they?

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose when you put it that way BUT i rarely buy crisps so it's not like i'd be spending the money anyway. but we've been rethinking where our grocery funds are going lately so i'm sure we can squeeze in a few more sweet potatoes here and there and get rid of something else less healthy

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must try sweet potato crisps. I am a little surprised it works.

My kids asked if we could do normal potato crisps, and I said I thought that would not work in the dehydrator. Am I also wrong on that?

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 05 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to do them on the lowest oven setting but that actually cooks them a bit... i think in the dehyrator you'd just get dried potatoes but it's certainly worth slicing up a potato to see!

one tip though, add some seasonings to the potatoes before you dry them. i had a few sweet potatos on the same tray as the last bits of apple so i didn't season those and they weren't as nice

n

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 05 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise you posted in April and this is June, but I wouldn't use WD40 or veg oil on your machine. Veg oil is much heavier than machine oil and will thoroughly gum up the works. Wd 40 evaporates. I would invest in proper oil meant for sewing machines. Drummond Wools in Edinburgh will have it (just along from Haymarket, park for 30 mins for free in the road opposite in the shop as its in the green zone, but make sure you're in the right bit or it will cost you £30!)
How's the quilting going?
n

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 05 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks N i don't drive so that's not a worry!

i've been to drummonds for a few bits and bobs... i actually wound up buying some machine oil on ebay in the end, it's not too expensive and i reckon it probably lasts for awhile...

thanks for pointing that out though!

if you know anything much about sewing please feel free to share. i've gotten the basics down and i'm learning how to use the various stiches on my machine properly. i have finished one 12" patchwork square complete with embellishments (might add more though!) and i'm going to work on another first time i get a chance. i want to make a handbag out of it.

i've done loads of repairs on clothing and have altered some of my daughters clothes since i got the machien. i am also in the process of making her a faery costume i love the machine, just wish i had more time and i also wish i could find a dressmaking course, no one can tell me where i can find one even at the shops!

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 05 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on sewing machines, but for light mechanical you won't go far wrong with 3 in 1 oil. Or for very light mechanisms thinned with parrafin.
Dave

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 05 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n wrote:
... I wouldn't use WD40 or veg oil on your machine. Veg oil is much heavier than machine oil and will thoroughly gum up the works.

I think most folk would appreciate that Veg Oil tends to "gum up" the works - whether sewing machines or diesel injectors. It can be chemically "degummed", and for non-food use, thats pretty much required.

n wrote:
Wd 40 evaporates.

Yes, but not really!
Its a complex cocktail, some of which is solvent that does indeed evaporate quickly, but it is there to spread the oil, and it does leave an oily film behind. The disadvantage of using it may be that it actually penetrates too well, and might spread too far!
I heard that (at least some) car paint sprayers ban its presence, saying that the airborne silicones can wreck the paint finish...

n

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 05 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further info on WD40. I was advised against using it when restoring an old much decorated treadle machine because it would lift the decals.
For more info, try

https://www.needlebar.com/#singer

and go to the restoration section, follow through the "first restoration", right to the end, awesome doesn't seem praise enough really.

I hasten to add, I'm not in this man's league when it comes to restoration.

Celtic Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 11:00 am    Post subject: Dehydrator Reply with quote

Dehydator?? This is a new one on me! Where do you buy these and what can you do with them - yes I know its a stupid question but I have never seen one for sale! PLease excuse my ignorance!

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tchibo had them, they were selling them as a 'dryer' but they don't have any anymore.

you can get them from here https://www.ukjuicers.com/dehydrators.htm but these are the very expensive models, though having said that i must say i've heard rave reviews about the excalibur model and wouldn't say no if i had money to burn!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive