links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Out this afternoon
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 09 7:43 pm    Post subject: Out this afternoon Reply with quote

It was a lovely day here so I thought I'd go up the woods and see what's about.
It wasn't long before I came across loads of shaggy parasols so I picked a few and left the rest as I've never eaten them before and don't know whether I'll get stomach trouble from them. I'll fry one up later in butter and see what happens.
I also found my first wood blewits and a huge cream coloured mushroom which is seven inches across, very firm fleshed and smells gorgeous. Could it be a Giant Funnel?

cab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 09 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Out this afternoon Reply with quote

Bubbletwinkler wrote:
Could it be a Giant Funnel?

Can't tell from the pic. Could be.

doctoral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 09 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smell teh big one and if it smells mealy, I wouldn't eat it - could be a clouded agaric.

cab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 09 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on the surprisingly tasty Leucopaxillus giganteus, but obviously, we can't say from that image.

doctoral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 09 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
My money is on the surprisingly tasty Leucopaxillus giganteus, but obviously, we can't say from that image.

Could be, but follow Cabs advice

bubble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 09 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its clitocybe geotropa

bingo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 09 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sort of Bubble and Squeak only the big fella.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 09 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
its clitocybe geotropa

A bold statement considering its one view and ts almost side on

Why C. geotropa rather than some of the other options? The shape suggests to me L. giganteus, why do you go for C. geotropa? (I'm not the best at distinguishing dfferent strains of assorted big white/off white funnely things, so I'm really curious about this).

bubble

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 09 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only guessed at geotropa because its so much commoner;it also has a tendency to grow more inside woods than out although a few years ago when there were masses in Potton wood the geotpopas were popping up in clearings and on grass just outside the wood;but without looking at the spores with microscope with these two we are guessing!!!

Bubbletwinkler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 09 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big funnel smells lovely and mushroomy, no odd smell whatsoever and was delicious fried in some butter. I had no stomach problems from eating the shaggy parasols thank goodness.

I wasn't sure whether it was a giant funnel or C. Geotropa either, just happy that both types were good to eat.
I also found out that the giant funnel has antibiotic and anti cancer properties.

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. geotropa generally has taller slightly more slender stems than L giganteus, with a prominent umbo in the bottom of the funnel. Even the most mature specimens tend to have this- a bit like an 'outie' belly button! the other way of telling is on young specimens, C geotropas are pointy while L giganteus are flat. Agree with Bubble - geotropa v common. where did you find out about the anticancer/ antibiotic properties Bubbletwinkler?

bubble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfoodie ,could you please explain yourself, you start off by asking us what those mushrooms are then [re your latest posts ]you go on as if you are an EXPERT,and not a beginner at all!!!! we had this with someone a few weeks ago!!!!

bubble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
wildfoodie ,could you please explain yourself, you start off by asking us what those mushrooms are then [re your latest posts ]you go on as if you are an EXPERT,and not a beginner at all!!!! we had this with someone a few weeks ago!!!!
are there two or more wildfoodies on this forum???

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you're mixing up wildfoodie with someone else? Not sure who though.

hedgehogpie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the memberlist there are indeed two 'wildfoodies'.

Wildfoodie and wildfoodie123.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive