Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
GRAND DESIGN

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 3:28 pm    Post subject: GRAND DESIGN Reply with quote

Awhile ago on the tv show grand design a guy in France got some volunteers to help him build a env friendly house.

Some of the people lived in thier own camper vans tents ect, he provided simple food, electricity and good old wine!.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is the idea a good one or a non starter?

My idea would be to advertise for volunteers to start /establish my garden in Portugal.

Please note this is only asking for advice re the idea, NOT an advert, as I am unsure if this is a good idea, and need some help!

Thanks

Mike

marigold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at WWOOF or HelpX? Using an organisation may be easier than arranging volunteers yourself. I've got no personal experience in such things, but I imagine you have to have a clear idea of what you want your volunteer labour force to do (so you need to be a reasonably competent project/people manager or learn some skills ) and you must offer them something in return (experience, living expenses, cheap working holiday).

You could also check the small ads in Permaculture mag and similar - sometimes people looking for volunteer opportunities adverstise there or you could place a help-wanted ad.

Several people on here use WWOOFers of HelpXers, so someone more knowledgeable than me will probably be along soon...

Bulgarianlily

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helpx is brilliant. You need to provide some accommodation and decent food, plus washing facilities, all the usual sort of stuff. If you go this route, ask us for our volunteer document so you can write something appropriate for you, it really helps to sort out any problems before they arise.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GRAND DESIGN Reply with quote

aceofwands wrote:
Awhile ago on the tv show grand design a guy in France got some volunteers to help him build a env friendly house.

Some of the people lived in thier own camper vans tents ect, he provided simple food, electricity and good old wine!.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is the idea a good one or a non starter?

My idea would be to advertise for volunteers to start /establish my garden in Portugal.

Please note this is only asking for advice re the idea, NOT an advert, as I am unsure if this is a good idea, and need some help!

Thanks

Mike

Great idea and Amazon Nails do a lot of this in their straw bale build projects. Beware of H&S though.

They still come down on you like a tonne of bricks when you get it wrong - which is ironic.

Bulgarianlily

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any H&S in portugal? There is none in Bulgaria.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 09 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarianlily wrote:
Is there any H&S in portugal? There is none in Bulgaria.

Missed that bit.

pricey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 09 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarianlily wrote:
Is there any H&S in portugal?

Sure is.

Slim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 09 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people build strawbale houses here and host clinics so that people can learn the process by doing. It can become a bit of a pyramid scheme, but one that everyone's happy with.

aceofwands

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 09 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone so far, I will look at ideas suggested!

H+S in Portugal is similar to Bulgaria, ie nobody follows ANY H&S.

mIKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive