Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Which is the best marmelade recipe?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 10 10:25 pm    Post subject: Which is the best marmelade recipe? Reply with quote

I just wonder. Should include Seville oranges, as I bought some today. I see Cab's recipe is strongly recommended, and if I don't get any other suggestions I might go for it. But what other favourites are out there?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have used a delia smith recipe. But I fiddled with it so much, I can't remember.

Aha:

wellington womble wrote:
Made some this afternoon loosely following Delias recipe. I put the whole lot of oranges in with the water, and boiled for a couple of hours, and then sieved out all the bits (sorry - I just don't llike them!) them boiled the remaining juice with half of her amount sugar until setting point. it is quite bitter, but I like it like that! I tasted the juice after I put the sugar in to see if it was OK.

I used 1 kg of organic sevilles, a lemon, 1 kg of sugar and 2.25 ltres of water. It's a glorious colour, and I can't wait until it's cool enough to try!

if I had a memory, I'd be dangerous. Fortunately, I only have downsizer!

gz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make marmalade from sweet oranges, but the setting can be a problem, and it isn't the same without the tang

Erikht

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 1,3 kg of Seville oranges, 1 kg of blood oranges, a couple of limes and a big bottle of lemon juice. Something exciting should come out of that, surely?

gz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be a good colour and taste

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erikht wrote:
I got 1,3 kg of Seville oranges, 1 kg of blood oranges, a couple of limes and a big bottle of lemon juice. Something exciting should come out of that, surely?

I'd suggest making two separate batches with that amount of fruit :

one of seville orange
one of blood orange

Erikht

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an exciting recipe with blood oranges and dried figs, as well as a bit of spice.

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preferably one that sets.
I,ve been making orange marmalade for 25 years, no problem.
Yesterday I made grapefruit and lemon, followed the weights and instructions, brought up to the right temperature,and it hasn,t set
Now I,ll have to re-boil it, and wash out all those sticky jars.

Tastes good though.

MrsWW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put into jars my third batch of Seville orange marmalade this year. Yesterday's batch had ginger wine in it. I'm making two more batches next weekend - one flavoured with thyme and the other flavoured with rosemary. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I juice the oranges & shred the peel then cook for 2 hours till it's soft, add the sugar & boil till set. But I have a marmalade shredder .

6lb oranges
2 lemons
6 pints water
6 lb sugar

(I think, I don't have the recipe to hand at the moment.)

MrsWW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe I use is:

900gms seville oranges
1 lemon
2 pints of water
1.8kg of sugar

I halve and juice the lemon - lemon outer goes in the muslin bag, halve and squeeze the oranges. The juice goes into the water and the pips into the muslin bag. I then pull out the loose pith in the oranges by hand and put it in the muslin bag. I slice the peel by hand and all that goes in the pot. Boil for 2 hours until peel cooked, remove muslin bag and give a darn good squeeze over the pot. Add the sugar, stir whilst on low to dissolve the sugar then turn up the heat to boiling and check every 15 minutes (using saucer from freezer, into fridge then run finger through it looking for wrinkles). Once it's done - into jars that've been through the dishwasher and then in the oven for about half hour. This method/recipe has never failed me yet.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 10 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add (before someone points out the sugar issue) that I make very low sugar preserves. The marmalade above is very bitter. I like it like that.

James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 10 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab's marmalade recipe is the best recipe I've come across.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 10 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no absolute best recipe Erikht. Marmalade making is a more of a fine art than a science

Anyway... I favour recipes that start off with pressure cooking, followed by shredding the fruit. Its just easier that way, and faster. I like a bitter-sweet marmalade with a strong flavour. I've been experimenting with my marmalade recipe this year and I think I've got it even more to my tastes than before; I'll modify the article with more variants at some point.

Both of the recipes in the article (mine, and was it another by Lottie?) have been highly praised here. So I should think either would be good.

Erikht

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 10 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Theres no absolute best recipe Erikht. Marmalade making is a more of a fine art than a science

Hmmm.. define art.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive