Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Leaving excess packaging at the checkout
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 12:21 pm    Post subject: Leaving excess packaging at the checkout Reply with quote

It does give me great pleasure when I decide to do it, but they just put it straight into the bin under their till, so what's the point?

Might as well bring it home and put it in the recycling for the good it does.

But honestly, why on earth do they think cauliflower needs a plastic bag around it???

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that always makes me laugh is swedes protected in shrinkwrap, protected from what?

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norwegians

chicken feed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they use poly wrap to make the fruit and veg have a shorter shelf life so we throw it away and buy more, but i could just be a anti supermarket veg

i was driving out of a village today when my daughter said vegtables no she had not gone mad there was a stall of veg outside a house spuds (dirty) onions cabage carrots swede etc. she brought 14lb corrots for £1.00 5lb parsnips for 50p two cabbage for 50p good job her little boy enjoys his veg but it was all fresh and will keep well at a fraction of the price and best of all no excess packaging

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'They' do it because they sell more that way. Everybody says that they want less packaging but other things being equal the packaged version of fruit and veg outsells the loose stuff by a fair bit and there's less wastage for the shop.

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving excess packaging at the checkout Reply with quote

Fee wrote:
It does give me great pleasure when I decide to do it, but they just put it straight into the bin under their till, so what's the point?

Might as well bring it home and put it in the recycling for the good it does.

But honestly, why on earth do they think cauliflower needs a plastic bag around it???

If enough didn't it might send a message.

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Oh, I make a point of buying loose if loose is available.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they did it so they can distinguish between organic and regular veg.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
'They' do it because they sell more that way. Everybody says that they want less packaging but other things being equal the packaged version of fruit and veg outsells the loose stuff by a fair bit and there's less wastage for the shop.

I try fruitlessly to point this out to a friend of mine when I take her out shopping. And it is not just the wastefulness: it is not often that they demonstrate nice and clearly how much money you are wasting having them wrap it in cling film for you, but I did notice in Morrisons the other week that it is 20p for broccoli. I think she still bought the wrapped stuff.

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
I thought they did it so they can distinguish between organic and regular veg.

Doesn't seem so, not in ours anyway.

Tesco's do shrink wrap their Fair Trade bananas though!!!

oldish chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my sons once worked in a major supermarket (shelf stacking). I mentioned this sort of thing to him once. He pointed out that checkout staff "don't give one".

Fee's objection to excessive and or unnecessary packaging is both admirable and correct. Her method of registering her disapproval will have no affect at all. All customers are nuisances, some show it in different ways to others.

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
One of my sons once worked in a major supermarket (shelf stacking). I mentioned this sort of thing to him once. He pointed out that checkout staff "don't give one".

Fee's objection to excessive and or unnecessary packaging is both admirable and correct. Her method of registering her disapproval will have no affect at all. All customers are nuisances, some show it in different ways to others.

I wonder if the same goes for store managers when there's pile of packaging left at the checkouts.

I doubt it would ever get to that stage as, on the whole, people like packaging. It keeps things clean and tidy and unsullied by human hand.

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
Her method of registering her disapproval will have no affect at all. All customers are nuisances, some show it in different ways to others.

No, I don't think it will, and the supervisors will probably never get to even hear about it because it went straight into the under-till bin. If, however, more people did it and the bins needed emptying more than once a shift, it might have some effect.

I was smiling and laughing with the chap, I always make sure to explain exactly what I'm doing, not just making a nuisance of myself for the sake of it.

Fee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't that long ago that we felt like freaks for using our own bags remember, and now look at it, HUGE improvements.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fee wrote:
I was smiling and laughing with the chap, I always make sure to explain exactly what I'm doing, not just making a nuisance of myself for the sake of it.

Listen, you're preggers, you can make a nuisance of yourself for absolutely no blinking reason at all if you like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive