Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What to do with plums
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 05 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Plum Cobbler, sorbet or I have a recipe for Plum Glazed Chicken

Leonie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 05 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew I should have picked another bag of plums

cab

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 05 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2steps wrote:
How about Plum Cobbler, sorbet or I have a recipe for Plum Glazed Chicken

Would you care to share the chicken recipe? It sounds great!

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GardenerJ wrote:
You don't happen to have a plums in brandy recipe do you, that idea sounds nice.

Jesse, my neighbour at my last house used to make vast quantities every year. He simply cut the skin of the fruit when ripe, filled a jar with them, topped up withcheap import brandy, and left it for 10 months before decanting. Wicked stuff. Every morning he had a nose like Sid James!!

Killer brew to offer at a party, too!!...Goes in no time!

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodsman wrote:
Jesse, my neighbour at my last house used to make vast quantities every year. He simply cut the skin of the fruit when ripe, filled a jar with them, topped up withcheap import brandy, and left it for 10 months before decanting. Wicked stuff. Every morning he had a nose like Sid James!!

No sugar added, woodsman?

Leonie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodsman, would that be making a plum flavoured brandy as opposed to a sweet plum liqueur type drink?

I want to achieve a sweet liqueur and might experiment with using the plums (when finished in the brandy) to make liqueur fruit filled choccies.

Josey Wales

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend to make choccies, it's a good idea to use a medium to good brandy as the plum and grape go well together well.

Leonie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sean, plum jam and brandy all made, looking forward to tasting the brandy!

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GardenerJ"]Woodsman, would that be making a plum flavoured brandy as opposed to a sweet plum liqueur type drink?

quote]

His brandy was fairly dry on the palate, actually, although obviously the fructose dissolved into the liqor. For your purposes, why not soak marzipan or glaceed fruits in it?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 05 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

though it may seem a waste of good fruit, plum wine is always an option. Should turn out a good rose colour, though possibly lengthy to clear. I'm still fermenting my first batch, made with last year's frozen plums, in order to clear space in the freezer for this year's produce. It smells OK, but I'm not into tasting half-done homebrew, so no idea about taste.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 05 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gbst, plum wine can vary from slightly acidic nasty water righty through to a wonderfully rich, tasty wine. More often than not you'll end up somewhere towards the latter

Can take a while to clear; did you use some pectinase?

dododumpling

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 05 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a recipe in Nigella Lawson's Domestic Goddess for a chinesey style plum chutney. Very nice.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 05 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a wonderfully rich, tasty wine. More often than not you'll end up somewhere towards the latter

hopefully this batch should be not bad. smells very plummy, anyway.

Can take a while to clear; did you use some pectinase?[/quote]

yes, because it looked as though there was pulp strained into the demijohn. it's starting to go no, but I expect to rack it a few times.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 05 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's done fermenting and settled a bit, rack it off the yeast, but then I'd leave it somewhere dark and check once in a while, racking it when it's clear and not before, I suspect that racking it more often isn't going to get it clear any faster.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
When it's done fermenting and settled a bit, rack it off the yeast, but then I'd leave it somewhere dark and check once in a while, racking it when it's clear and not before, I suspect that racking it more often isn't going to get it clear any faster.

OK, will do. The less I have to do to it the better. Not finished fermenting yet. 5 gallons : 1 almost fermented out, 3 getting there, and one that stuck at 1048 and has had various things done to it to get it to go.

The sitting room is like a hospital ward, as it's the only room with heating : perhaps there should be a TV programme hosted by a celebrity heavy drinker (perhaps the ghost of Oliver Reed), called 'Homebrew Hospital' .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive