Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
BUILDING ON FLOOD PLAINS IS JUST PLAIN CRAZY?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 05 10:42 pm    Post subject: BUILDING ON FLOOD PLAINS IS JUST PLAIN CRAZY? Reply with quote

Yes,we are building on flood plains to give people a roof over their heads,but at what cost if the water level rise suddenly like in America.
I think all the people involved in building the houses in the UK,in the normal way on flood plains are crazy. I believe every building by law built on flood plains should be built with a lower section space for vehicles and storage only,to help raise the building up by at least 10 feet from the ground surface. This would mean for example every building with a pathway outside it now,would have the same thing but there would be another pathway above that in line with the front door of the building it was outside. This way would mean you would still have the lower ground area as a garden or a drive way or what ever,but if in the case of any flooding,the living area would be less likely to be damaged,and lose of life too. Yes this way would mean using steps or a lift to go up or down to go to your vehicle or garden,but if it meant saving your life and property in a flood situation then I think it's crazy not to build houses on a flood plain in any other way. Whilst the Thames barrier will stop high water,water will still find it's own level,so it will back up until it finds lower ground,then it will come in behind them if we don't do something now to help our selve's. If we don't build higher walkways or barriers all round our rivers and streams nature will win. Yes it would make the Thames narrower for example,but it would work,after all whilst the Thames has already been made to look better,now is the time to start doing something about stopping our country from drowning if we can. Other benefits to my idea are most walkways could go over roadways,with the same street lighting to light up the road and both walkways at the same time if my idea was used,this would also make for cleaner walkways,of course there will be problems with a new way of living on a flood plain,but at least people would have a chance to survive in a flood situation along with every one else,and any business could have their deliveries made easier,plus in the case of a flood the stock could be replaced,and business carry on, For all those people who are already living on a flood plain,I wish you a long and happy life. John JRP.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOhn I can't disagree with you, there are too many places worldwide where people are encouraged to live on flood plains. Lunacy.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the developed world it clearly is crazy.

Elsewhere flood plains can be very fertile areas, and as I understand people make an intelligent assessement that the risk is acceptable for the benefit.

Josey Wales

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A success story

https://www.no-asda.org/glossary.shtml

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 05 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of building on stilts or other raised structures is nothing new at all. It was surprising to see how many old Sussex buildings were built in such way. The problem of leaving cars under the builidng is that the main cost of floods would be material and a new car is very expensive.

Better to try and stop the stupid demand for extra housing IMHO. The population isn't increasing so why have more housing? At least why build on countryside?

john

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 05 10:33 pm    Post subject: Report highlights threat of floods. Reply with quote

:idea:We can put buildings on flood plains,I say,if we build them all up higher.
Greenwich and Lewisham: Development will 'make matters worse'as reported in our local news paper,as shown 12-10-2005.
The risk of severe flooding to parts of London is not being taken seriously enough,according to the authors of a new report.
The London Assembly environment committee report says the 1.25m residents and workers in the Thames Estuary area are at risk from flooding - New Orleans style. And they say new development in the area could make the problem worse. The report also revealed there is confusion over who runs the city's defence system,which is thought to be in a worse state towards the coast.
The report states lessons need to be learned from the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina,and calls for a clarification of who is responsible for flood defences in the Thames Gateway.
It reveals there is a web of agences in the area sharing overlapping responsiblities for defending the city. It also warns the risk of flooding in London is being greatly increased as much of the DEVELOPMENT AREA IS ON FLOOD PLAINS.
The committee's chairman,Lewisham councillor,said: "We are extremely concerned about development plans for EAST LONDON and the building of THOUSANDS of NEW HOMES in THAMES GATEWAY."
" These plans are simply not taking flood risk issues seriously enough."
He also raised concerns about the long-term life of the Thames Barrier - a key issue for Lewisham and Greenwich.
But the Environment Agency says the city's defences will benefit from £300m pounds investment over the next 15 years. Thames Estuary programme executive for the Environment Agence said: " The disastrous impact of Hurricane Katrina on New Orleans reminds us all the consequences of complacency can be tragic."
" BUT LONDON CAN BE REASSURED THEIR CITY FLOOD DEFENCES ARE IN GOOD SHAPE AND THEY OFFER A HIGH LEVEL OF PROTECTION."
I HOPE SO, DON'T YOU. John JRP. LONDON SE9.

Last edited by john on Sun Oct 23, 05 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

john

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 05 11:00 pm    Post subject: Flood prevention plans in full flow. Reply with quote

Flood prevention plans in full flow,as reported in our local News paper on the 28-9-2005 as shown. Land disappearing underwater sounds more like a disaster movie than the future of north Kent.
But new research says in an extreme flood event,as experienced in New Orleans,EXISTING DEFENCES COULD BE OVERWHELMED IN LONDON and the THAMES ESTUARY.
The Floodscape project is looking at consulting with residents to develop natural areas to control flood risk. The research is based around the idea of the "1,000 year flood"-- an extreme rise in water levels which pose the greatest threat to the Thames Estuary.
Floodscape co-ordinator says in theory this potentially catastrophic event could hit at any time. But now his project is looking at using the KENT MARSHES as a place where excess water can be dumped to save residential areas.
In the UK a total of £700,000 will be spent by the EU-FUNDED project on three pilot schemes looking at landscape change and flood risk including the north Kent marshes in Medway,to be completed by the end of next year. Suggestions for ways to use natural flood defences will feed into the Thames Estuary 2100 project,which is developing an Estuary flood risk management strategy for the next 100 years.
"Floodscape is providing Thames Estuary 2100 with tools to engage communities and decision makers in planning for and investigating acceptable measure to manage flood risk."
Different option were discussed with people from the north Kent community who were shown the consequences of making various changes to the flood defence system using computer models.
"The acceptability of each measure is determind by environmental impact,benefit and community opinions."
One measure,controlled inundation,would mean lowering or maintaining the height of existing defences so excess water would flood predetermined areas and not properties.
This could even lead to new natural habitats being created for wildlife.
Another option considered in the consultation is managed realignment,which involves creating holes in or removing existing defences.
Homes woul be protected by land gradient or new defences,while the area in-between may be inundated by the twice-daily tide and extreme floods.
The RSPB was one of the STAKEHOLDERS involved in the FLOODSCAPE CONSULTATION.
RSPB conservation officer for the area says planning for the future is essential to protect the area.She said: "THERE IS GOING TO HAVE TO BE PROTECTION FOR TOWNS. "MOVING GRAVESEND OR LONDON IS NOT AN OPTION."
In 1928: The tide in LONDON rose nearly 30cm higher than previous records and 14 people drowned in westminster when the river Thames overflowed.
In 1953: over 300 people lost their lives and 24,000 houses were flooded as defences in Kent were breached due to freak waves and a swelling tide along the coast.
In 2005: 4.5cm of torrential rain fell in under an hour,badly affecting Dartford,with manhole covers forced off and roads closing.
I BELIEVE THE WRITING IS ALREADY ON THE WALL FOR US,EVEN AS I WRITE THIS MESSAGE THE RAIN IS COMING DOWN AS IF SOME ONE HAS JUST PULLED THE PLUG OUT OVER MY HOUSE AND OTHERS,FLOODING THE ROAD OUTSIDE IT TOO. I HOPE IT STOPS SOON,DON'T YOU. 12pm. JOHN JRP.

Last edited by john on Sun Oct 23, 05 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

john

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 05 10:15 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on water defences heard at meeting. Reply with quote

Residents vote to keep flood walls,as reported in our local News paper on the 19-10-2005 as shown. People living near NORTH KENT MARSHES have voted for no change in the way flooding is managed in the area.
A 15-month-long concultation has discovered residents and groups favour retaining the current method of having flood defences between the marshes and the Thames Estuary.
It had been suggested by consultation organiser FLOODSCAPE the defences be moved back to allow the area to flood-creating salt marshes and mud flats.
Although residents said they would consider letting small areas flood to increase saltmarsh to add to the ecological value of the area they would rather keep the defences in place.
And in some cases they wanted the defences built higher to stop future flooding in ST MARY'S MARSHES,NORTH of STROOD.
The project also covered an area from WENNINGTON MARSHES, SOUTH of RAINHAM,to the AVELEY MARSHES near PURFLEET.
FLOODSCAPE,which is an EU-FUNDED pilot action,will now give the residents,feedback to the Thames Estuary 2100 project,which is planning to protect the 1.25m people at risk from flooding in this area. It will present it's plans to the Government.
More than 100 people heard about the future of the marshes at the meeting last week.
A Dickens Country Protection Society committee member said: The ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP OBVIOUSLY HAS A VESTED INTEREST IN THE AREA.
She said: "The consensus of the group was it should remain as it is."
A retired lady of 65 said: She attended the meeting because she wanted to know what was going on in the marshes.
She also said: "We don't want to see them flooded,we want to see it how it is now.
Floodscape project manager said:"THIS IS ONE PIECE OF THE JIGSAW."
"THE PROJECT IS MORE ABOUT EXPLORING RATHER THAN GETTING TO THE STAGE WHERE SOMETHING IS CHOSEN." I HOPE IT STOPS RAINING SOON,DON'T YOU. JOHN JRP.

john

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 05 10:29 pm    Post subject: Too late for objections. Reply with quote

Too late for objections,as reported in our local News paper on the 20-10-2005 as shown. ENVIRONMENTALISTS have urged council chiefs to put the brakes on a huge housing development for fear of its impact.
KENT GREEN PARTY insists Dartford council has nothing to lose by delaying development at EASTERN QUARRY in SWANCOMBE to ensure facilities for the occupants of the thousands of proposed new homes materialise.
A number of concerns have been raised by the political party in a report into the impact of the development,which is the biggest in the THAMES GATEWAY.
EASTERN QUARRY was granted outline approval in July after months of negotiation.
"During this process a number of comments were received from organisations but not from the KENT GREEN PARTY."
A spokesman for Dartford council said: "WE WELCOME ANY COMMENTS,BUT THEY NEED TO BE TIMELY TO BE INCLUDED IN THE PLANNING PROCESS." I HOPE THEY INCLUDE THE RISK OF FLOODING,DON'T YOU. John JRP.

john

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 05 8:27 pm    Post subject: Paving front gardens risk of flooding. Reply with quote

Paving front gardens increases the risk of flooding in the capital,as reported in our local News paper November issue 2005,as shown.
LONDONERS who pave front gardens so they can park cars are being urged to use 'green' methods to help reduce the risk of flooding.
A LONDON ASSEMBLY REPORT shows homeowners across the capital have paved over an area equivalent to 22 Hyde Parks to give them somewhere to put their vehicles. Now the MAYOR of London has called for people to think about using materials that allow water to drain into the earth.
The growing tendency to cover front gardens means rainwater has no way of naturally seeping into the ground.
Instead,it is channelled into the drainage system,which is already under pressure,increasing the risk of flooding during heavy rain,
ACCORDING TO THE LONDON ASSEMBLY REPORT,TWO THIRDS OF THE CAPITAL'S FRONT GARDENS ARE ALREADY PARTIALLY COVERED BY PAVING,BRICKS,CONCRETE OR GRAVEL.
WITH THIS IN MIND, I HOPE IT STOPS RAINING SOON, DON'T YOU. John. JRP.

john

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 12:40 am    Post subject: DON'T GET YOUR FEET WET. Reply with quote

Don't get your feet wet as reported in my local KB news paper as shown for December 2005. As global warming begins to effect our climate causing sea levels to rise and rivers to burst their banks more readily,is your business prepared to cope with the possibility of flooding? The consequences of a flood can be devastating with astronomical financial losses as well as loss of livelihoods and high levels of trouble and stress.
Ask yourself the following questions:
* Do you know if you are situated in an area at risk of flooding?
* Do you know if and how you can receive flood warnings?
* Do you know how your business would respond to a flood?
* Are your staff trained on flood procedures?
* Do you have the relevent insurance to make sure you are covered in the event of a flood?
If you think you may be at risk and you answered no,to any of these questions,it is essential to implement a flood action plan to ensure the safety of staff and to minimise any financial loss.
For more information about how you can protect your business from the possibility of a flood,call the Environment Agency on 08708 506506.
May I wish every one a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2006,and I hope you all live long and happy too. John. JRP.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to start a flood plan for our Parish Council, required by the County. Our village itself doesn't flood as it sits up on its own wee hill, but we regularly get floods around it.
Becoming a very important issue, relevant to those whose homes do not flood as well.

john

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 05 10:56 pm    Post subject: Just about to start flood plans. Reply with quote

Hi Sarah D,I don't know if it's raining very heavy where you are,but I've just looked outside my window and I can see the rain water is flowing down our road because it can't drain away because of the leaves blocking the drains,even though our council road sweepers swept our road yesterday. Which must be going on all over the country at this time of the year,which is another good reason for building all our houses higher,as if we all lived on our own we hill. Please put my idea forward as I know it could help to save lives if used. Thank you, I hope you have a merry christmas and a Happy New Year,and may you live long and happy too. John.JRP.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major problem in our part of the country/county is the failure of the farmers/their contractors/whoever to clear the ditches of the "trimmings" after they have decimated the hedges by flailing. I twasn't done for the past two years, and caused quite bad problems on the roads - the water obviously ahd nowhere to run into. They did them this year a few weeks ago (you can see the piles of muck and branches along the verges, waiting to be cleared - at least Ihope they will clear them , or it's back to square one), and so far it has made quite a difference on the parts of the road which were flooding regularly at this time of year. The ditches in the fields are not now cleared out as often or regularly as they used to, and this causes problems too. I agree about not building on flood plains - shouldn't it be completely obvious what is going to happen?

john

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 11:59 pm    Post subject: If water is not controled,it will claim the land which is? Reply with quote

Hi Sarah D again,what is obviously going to happen on flood plains,is ignored because there are millions of pounds involved in one way or another. Yes peoples lives are a problem to the builders,but they would say we are going to die at some time any way. So when people do decide to live on a floodplain they must know this,or they are so desperate to have a place to live in,they will take a chance on whether they live or die living in a high risk of flooding area,or they are not told, if they had a long period of rain their lives will be at risk from flooding because their house is built on a floodplain.
If they wanted me to design buildings on a floodplain I'm sure I could do it just by simply building nearly everything up higher from the ground in some way to fit in with the normal way we live now.
* My roads would be your ditches,
* My walkways would be your banks
* My trees would be my houses
* My lower part would be my roots,foundations,the tree trunk would be my lower walls,and the top part where the branches are would be where you live,of course wide enough not to be blown down in strong high winds,and they would have easy ways to get to,all built up higher so any water would find it's own level,designed to be as low as possible to save loss of life,and to keep any damage to the minimum.
I hope you find others to join you in keeping the rain of your roads to help stop any flooding,good luck,Power to the people who are doing their bit to help others. John JRP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive