Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Approaching a whole year beekeeping!

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 10 4:54 pm    Post subject: Approaching a whole year beekeeping! Reply with quote

Almost a whole year to the day since I finished my bee-keeping course and got my first swarm.

What a year... it has become smth that Mr Baggins and I do together and WOW, how much have we learnt in the past year? Our bees have made it thru their first winter with us and we are thrilled they have come thru so strong. They're already making frames of yummy honey and the fruit and nut crops on our property were groaning last summer compared to what they were before the bees arrived.

Really glad I took it up. What a rewarding thing to do Go bees.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 10 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on my wish list but not right tat the moment - too much else to get sorted first. One day ......

beean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 10 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have had my little buzzers a whole year... tomorrow! And to my immense pride they are in better health now than when I got them (it was a whole colony when I received them).
Assuming nothing untoward happens between now and tomorrow afternoon, do I get a special birthday cake ?

They are great, and I too am delighted that I took up this amazing hobby.

Mrs Baggins

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 10 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR - Oh I hope you get them soon. They are AMAZING little critters!

Beean - I got my swarm (which was huge) on 1 May, so we are very close in our 'bee birthdays'. I think a cake to celebrate is a great idea. I'll go put the kettle on for us, shall I? lol

Sally Too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 10 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Mrs B.

We too have overwintered our bees and have one really strong hive now and a smaller one that is touch and go.

If you remember we had a few false starts last year.... so no honey YET! I hoping this year will be a bumper.

I agree bees are great fun. They are really managed by my OH but I help out.....

Sonny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 10 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so jealous of you all

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 10 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear they overwintered OK.
I'm crowding mine at the moment trying to get them into swarming mode.
I have two new bee-keepers to stock with bees this season.
The press attention bees have been getting over the last couple of years has meant there are a lot of people now interested in the craft so a deficit of bees.
If your bees are good I would definately recommend increasing your stocks to sell.
top bar nucleus are selling for over £200 & conventional 5 frame national nucleus with an imported queen are around £130.
So more money in bees than honey at the moment.

Dogwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 10 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be getting mine as soon as I've made two screens, sorted out a patch and stand, mended the sheep fence, bought a smoker and hive tool and can free up acouple of days to drive to Essex.

The bee inspector checked them last week and said they're fit and healthy, probably a last years swarm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive