Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Big rabbit
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had a good enough look to rule out a small Muntjack? I know they don't really look at all similar, but once or twice I've just glimpsed one out of the corner of my eye as it raids the shrubbery and my first though was 'what a big rabbit' until I got my eyes in gear properly and realised what I was looking at. Obvious once you see the ears or lack of, but in the mists of early morning they can be funny little critters.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

Don't think it's a Were-Rabbit, although it seems a bit mysterious.

Sorry. Slow day at the coal face.

Old-Chads-Orchard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working at Holyhead port at the mo and there is a section of fenced in grass where the bunnies are getting plenty of food & not hassled/eaten & I have never seen such large rabbits in the wild, fairly tame too, then again being fenced in by chainlink nothing there can get at them

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a good long look so definitely not a Muntjack, that's also why I don't think it's a hare as I had a good look at it running and the legs seemed too short to be one.

So, probably a bunny, just a very big one. I'm hoping he has a few ladies about the place and the breed like, erm, rabbits.

Funnily while I wouldn't say he was tame he also didn't seem that frightened of me. Don't think there's been much shooting or public access to the land though.

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be crossed with an escaped Flemish giant or something? Just a thought as I know they get pretty huge.

Pete

Calli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@offroading.net

Oh I know those bunnies well lol

Every time I do the ferry crossing I have very agitated salukis watching the bunnies. They are so nonchalant too

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodrighy wrote:
Could it be crossed with an escaped Flemish giant or something? Just a thought as I know they get pretty huge.

Pete

I wondered that as well, theres a road verge not far from here that you see lots of young rabbits grazing in the summer & there is always one or two dark (almost chocolate coloured) rabits amongst them & I can only assume they are from a captive wild cross.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:
Bodrighy wrote:

Pete

I wondered that as well, theres a road verge not far from here that you see lots of young rabbits grazing in the summer & there is always one or two dark (almost chocolate coloured) rabits amongst them & I can only assume they are from a captive wild cross.

I've seen escapee domestic rabbits in built up areas (sort of a surreal Father Ted moment) and it had crossed my mind that some genes of domesticated rabbits being in the one I saw but as it was quite a remote place I think it's unlikely.

A google suggests 20 inches is the largest you get a wild rabbit. I assume that's nose to tail with it sitting still, so two foot running sounds reasonable?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 10 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:
Bodrighy wrote:

Pete

You often see black ones here too. They are called melanistic, and I believe it is a fairly common mutation.
Giant ones I don't know about. Where there any Tellytubbies about?

Brownbear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 10 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Tavascarow wrote:
Bodrighy wrote:

Pete

You often see black ones here too. They are called melanistic, and I believe it is a fairly common mutation.

You seem to get them more when warrens are overcrowded; occasionally you get non-albino white ones too. Some people seem to believe that the overcrowding and mutations are related and to do with inbreeding, but equally likely, where there are more bunnies generally, there will be more mutant bunnies.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 10 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
Tavascarow wrote:
Bodrighy wrote:

Pete

You seem to get them more when warrens are overcrowded; occasionally you get non-albino white ones too. Some people seem to believe that the overcrowding and mutations are related and to do with inbreeding, but equally likely, where there are more bunnies generally, there will be more mutant bunnies.

Also I suppose where there are a lot of rabbits the mutations have more chance of survival.
Few rabbits & they'd get picked off first, especially the white ones.
Though it's been proven that when it comes to breeding the true albinos are always at the bottom of the picking list.
It's natural to reject those that don't fit.

unlacedgecko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 10 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldnt be the first giant rabbit to terrorise the biritsh contryside;

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/04/0411_060411_rabbit.html

Le Loup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 10 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is not a wallaby or walleroo, I hear there are a few running (hopping!) wild over there.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 10 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we often met wallabies when climbing in derbyshire years ago ,
more big mouse than were rabbit

Le Loup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 10 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the ears don't quite have it do they!

dpack wrote:
we often met wallabies when climbing in derbyshire years ago ,
more big mouse than were rabbit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive