Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How to Live a Simple Life
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 10 1:18 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Finally watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously most of the issues were skimmed over rather than explored in detail, but most of what he said about the constant acquisition of stuff and how it affects our lives was spookily similar to how I'm starting to feel.

Cheers,
Rob.

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 10 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Bugrit. I completely forgot. Still working anyway... Ashes recorded, so I'll have to watch POJ on iPlayer.
A.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Watched it, found it very very intresting. The people who gave to him seemed to light up inside, lovely!

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Bebo wrote:
lottie wrote:
I don't want any comments banning---I despise some of the petty nit picking complaints that have obviously been made to the mods at times--I'm just amused by the reaction of people to some derogatory comments but not others

Shall we have a vote on it? I'm fully in support of all derogatory names and all swearing.

I like your style. Have you thought of applying to run the forum?
Please feel free to call the French by whatever name you see fit..... they deserve it.

emmac

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I thought last night was much better than the week before, much less smug and extremely challenging. He really had to push himself to fully adopt the Fransiscan way of life. It was really thought provoking, and quite moving at times.

It'll be interesting to see how he can take some of his learning's back to his every day life, in next weeks show.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Watched both programmes now...interesting but not gripping.
Yes, he is highlighting some very real issues, but....at the end of the day, for him, its an experiment, not a way of life.

And also, although all those very kind and generouas people were helping, would so many have done it if the cameras wernt there?

Last winter, I bought a pasty and a coffee for the Wadebridge Big Issue man and stood talking to him for a few minutes - just about how cold it was etc.
My children who were with me were astounded and embarassed, and all the way home in the car basically had a rant. I tried to explain that society has a duty of care, and that I could well afford a pasty and a coffee, and that by talking to the guy, I felt I was going some way to reducing his 'untouchable' status.

I wouldnt say I was cross at my kids attitude, but I think its important to practice kind gifts and actions, rather than just drop money into a tin.

As for the programme, might watch it again next week, unless something else super is on (like thats really possible)

Nell Merionwen

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

would it be wrong of me to point out how his "I don't eat wheat" rule dissapeared by the third day?

Humillity certainly changes priorities

emmac

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nell wrote:
would it be wrong of me to point out how his "I don't eat wheat" rule dissapeared by the third day?

Yes I did chuckle at that as he hoofed the macdonalds bun!!

Andy B

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
Watched both programmes now...interesting but not gripping.
Yes, he is highlighting some very real issues, but....at the end of the day, for him, its an experiment, not a way of life.

And also, although all those very kind and generouas people were helping, would so many have done it if the cameras wernt there?

Last winter, I bought a pasty and a coffee for the Wadebridge Big Issue man and stood talking to him for a few minutes - just about how cold it was etc.
My children who were with me were astounded and embarassed, and all the way home in the car basically had a rant. I tried to explain that society has a duty of care, and that I could well afford a pasty and a coffee, and that by talking to the guy, I felt I was going some way to reducing his 'untouchable' status.

I wouldnt say I was cross at my kids attitude, but I think its important to practice kind gifts and actions, rather than just drop money into a tin.

As for the programme, might watch it again next week, unless something else super is on (like thats really possible)

I wonder where youre kids got that attitude from? Clearly not you!

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nell wrote:

I missed the point of that one... I'd assumed he was glutton intolerant.
Quote:

Not as much as hunger.

toggle

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Andy B wrote:

kids get attitude from everywhere. at times it seems the more the parents are not unpleasent, the more kids go out of their way to be so to prove they are different.

last year the insult to yell at each other was 'gay' now it is 'jew'

they are uncivilised little bastards

Jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

toggle wrote:

I'd noticed that one seems to be on the rise again. Not associated with miserliness as it was when I was a yoof, but just as a general insult. I wonder why. Trouble is they think you're bonkers for challenging it. "I know he's not REALLY a Jew Miss" As if that makes it OK.

Katieowl

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

toggle wrote:
Andy B wrote:

kids get attitude from everywhere. at times it seems the more the parents are not unpleasent, the more kids go out of their way to be so to prove they are different.

they are uncivilised little bastards

HEY at least they are only THREE letter words!!!

Kate

toggle

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 10 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Jamanda wrote:
toggle wrote:

I'd noticed that one seems to be on the rise again. Not associated with miserliness as it was when I was a yoof, but just as a general insult. I wonder why. Trouble is they think you're bonkers for challenging it. "I know he's not REALLY a Jew Miss" As if that makes it OK.

of course you are mad, they are kids, everyone around them is mad

robkb

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 10 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Thought the second episode was very good. I like how far he tries to push himself to gain an understanding of the issues involved. And it was very interesting to see Tinker's Bubble on the telly.

Cheers,
Rob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive