Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Why is it folk think it perfectly reasonable to feed horses

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 10 3:09 pm    Post subject: Why is it folk think it perfectly reasonable to feed horses Reply with quote

Just had a random car pull up, occupants crossed the busy road to then lean over the gate and call to and start feeding my mare with foal at foot.

I spotted them and called to them politely asking them to stop.

They spotted me and continued to feed my horse with stuff from their pockets blatantly ignoring me. I asked them to stop again all the time making my way across the fields. To be given the bird, I then shouted to them to cease feeding my mare. To which I got what can only be described as a torrent of abuse from four adult’s two females and two males.

Well number registration and call to the police will of course bring the last laugh.

I have no idea what they were feeding; it could be poisonous for all I know. The simple fact I as the owner asked them to cease feeding my horse should be enough. Regardless of my reasons.

Next time I’m out in town I might randomly hang over peoples garden fences and feed their guinea pig, dog, cat, rabbit or whatever. Just because you see something cute in a field doesn’t mean you can go around feeding it.

Anything the mare eats goes to the foal – and should anything now upset the mare or foal over the next few days I’ll know who to present the bill to.

Last edited by T.G on Sun Jun 20, 10 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

frewen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 10 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughtlessness is one thing - but that was utterly rude and bordering on damage

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 10 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummph

maybe an honesty box next to todays carrot ration would be fun for all .feed the orse 50 p a carrot

the other thing can be warm or cold for the rude as far as im concerned ,

i find folk ask if they can give food to my hounds and respect my yes or no

spose in a non rude way i have fed other folks critters (or did it mug me for a slice of mango on the moors ) and i do interact with wild critters (the hoodie crows like cake )

recon if they were rude they were wrong

Mrs R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 10 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody should feed anything that doesn't belong to them unless they've checked it's OK IMO

Calli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 10 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to ask folk throwing grass cuttings over the fence into my field to stop - they thought they were doing me a favour

Went

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 10 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My good friend Bob used to have a similar problem. His approach was to wander up to them and shake his head whilst saying..."You have got any saliva on you have you by any chance?.....better just get your GP to look at you tomorrow as they're currently having treatment for aggressive worm infestation and it's so easily transmitted".

They never stayed around for long... He also used the same tactics to get rid of unwanted youths who loitered on his land drinking - only this time it was a batch of chinese weedkiller and chronic runs..

Cheeky beggars.

misty07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 10 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friend of ours well bloke who cut our hay and rents field next to ours and he has had to put a sign up as it is on a main road saying "please do not feed as i kick and i bite" just to cover his back as his friend did not have sign up someone done the same as you got bitten on the hand as they held the apple to long in there hand and got taken to court and ordered 2 pay for medical costs and compo of over a grand so judge said put the sign up you wont get done as you have warned the public but there is a bloke who lives in surry and owns a load of gypsy vanner brood mare's by a load i mean a good 150 or more in the area and the amount of people going arrrr ent they nice dont they look nice but they dont realise how bad they are with the tails so long that over a mtr in length of it is matted on the floor behind them and the amount of them who have untreated sand cracks is the best way to describe them but there feet are terrible you cant call noone as noone is intrested in there welfare as there just breeding machines

Kellyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we often have people stop to look at our goats, they mostly have dogs with them, the field gate being off the road and just inside a private driveway (our own, one gate enters into the field and another gate to our driveway)
As a precaution we post and railed field side, then stock fenced across entrance, a good 15ft away from the gate. We can still get in and out by rolling the fence back but most importantly it keeps a good distance between people and goats......last person pulled in with their car, a little boy got out (with his dad) and relieved himself in our hedge....they didn't realise they were on private property (husband waited patiently for them to finish and drive off so that he could then drive in!!)

misty07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sod that private property id pull up behind tem and lock up go in have my tea then move it we get every now and again police doing a speed check in our gateway they soon move when they see us coming down the road as even the police know its wrong to block a gateway lol

T.G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the police have done nothing other than look for the car locally - they have it registered to warrington so they say its out of their area and unless i wish to make a further claim for subsequent injury they aint really fussed about doing anything ... so i said oh well in that case i'll go dump horse sh!t in warrington and if i do it enough i'm bound to get the right location eventually pplus i expect no one to come knocking on my door - because after all fairs fair besides it's actually raising the standards of the area it will be dumped in as at least my horse sh!t is fresh!

nettie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh GRRRR. Grange it must be so crap to have people feeding unknown rubbish to them. Luckily we haven't caught people doing this to our neddies, but they do have a tendency to use the private gateway to the fields as a parking space when they visit their rellys i am soooo tempted to smear the range rover and land rover in question with pooh and leave a hoof shaped dent in the door!!! Hmm on second thoughts perhaps i can one of them as a mounting block.

chicken feed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the same at the shows people seem to think they have paid addmission and they can do what they want, i very often find parents encouraging their children to feed the goats a icecream or any other item they have on hand including paper and the faces of the parents when you ask not to feed the animals some will even go on to say goat eat anything whats the harm idiots, its the same with the pigs too. i once asked a parent for their address what for they asked so i said to send the vet bill to after your child has fed other peoples animals with out permission.

tedfold cottage farm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our pigs luckily are off the beaten track but the horses are not- a sign saying "beware of the adders" has stopped alot of the loitering and ergo the feeding of mouldy stuff to the horses.... never even seen a snake of any description but there might be some

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedfold cottage farm wrote:
Our pigs luckily are off the beaten track but the horses are not- a sign saying "beware of the adders" has stopped alot of the loitering and ergo the feeding of mouldy stuff to the horses.... never even seen a snake of any description but there might be some

We have real adders, and they have been known to bite. Keeps the place nice and quiet.

misty07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:
Ohhh GRRRR. Grange it must be so crap to have people feeding unknown rubbish to them. Luckily we haven't caught people doing this to our neddies, but they do have a tendency to use the private gateway to the fields as a parking space when they visit their rellys i am soooo tempted to smear the range rover and land rover in question with pooh and leave a hoof shaped dent in the door!!! Hmm on second thoughts perhaps i can one of them as a mounting block.

cant you muck spread your field at the time they park and pay perticular attention to the gateway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive