About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
A great year for ...
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 10 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hubby adores gouzgoggs - our little bush has died a death though ... and the cherry tree has been robbed by the jackdaws!

Went

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 10 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours are doing well and will pick this weekend - Apart from that so far Peas have been brilliant - loads picked, de-podded and frozen.

Good year for beetroot here as well.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 10 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine aren't ripe yet but they are laden with fruit. Strawberries are doing well, rhubarb lessening off a bit now and quite a good crop of blackcurrants. Just wish the veg would hurry up now.

nettie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 10 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, not ripe yet. All the fruit is doing superbly this year, it's a shame it's a month late as I needed to make some jam for pressies a couple of weeks ago!!!

Vanessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 10 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 6lb today ... and that's the first plant about 5/6 stripped, as far as I could tell in the fading light. I'm already anticipating a winter of fruit crumbles YUM!!

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 10 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanessa wrote:
Another 6lb today ... and that's the first plant about 5/6 stripped, as far as I could tell in the fading light. I'm already anticipating a winter of fruit crumbles YUM!!

Very envious of you having goosegogs ...
Simply not enough room in our little garden.
Raspberries are looking promising though.

Last year I found an unloved gooseberry bush on a barren piece of ground and picked it bare but this year the fruit seem to be all mildewy

EV

ros

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like goozgogs - picked a huge amount at my folks and by the time they'd been topped and tailed and cooked or frozen there were loads more !!

redcurrants are lovely this year, sweeter than usual the one cherry on my baby tree was the sweetest lovliest cherry I've ever eaten - hope to get a few more than 1 next year

I have two peaches on my little tree too.

When do Kiwis flower ? looks like we'll be kiwi-less again though, I thought it was old enough to fruit this year, but maybe not

Vanessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthyVirgo, can't you train one as a double-cordon? They take up very little space like that, and are far less-prone to mildew.

I'm really surprised mine haven't got mildew; the bushes are dense (making some of the picking a nightmare!), and in places are getting swamped with bindweed (for the umpteenth year in a row I'd say, by the amount of the bloody stuff there is up there!).

Which brings me on to ... how do I prune the bushes and when?

otatop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some little punnets of them in the greengrocers yesterday - I'd reckon about 4 - 6 ounces. Feeling a bit smug about my goosegog glut I asked the price. £1.95/punnet! I suppose that commercial growers could well find that it costs a lot to pay pickers.

Vanessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo smug about the 17lbs in the freezer already at that rate!! That works out at £6-8 a lb ... so I've got around £100-worth of goosegogs in my freezer already

D'you think I should take out special insurance?

cinders

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine appear to have a black film on them

Vanessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound nice. Will it wash off?

Finished picking mine this afternoon. Final tally 20lb and 10oz. Not bad, hey?

I'll put circles of old carpet under them for next year, in the hope of keeping the bindweed down; that definitely reduced the crop on the 2nd plant.

Think it's high time the plant gurus developed spineless goosegogs! My right hand and arm are scratched to bits!!

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanessa wrote:
EarthyVirgo, can't you train one as a double-cordon? They take up very little space like that, and are far less-prone to mildew.

I'm really surprised mine haven't got mildew; the bushes are dense (making some of the picking a nightmare!), and in places are getting swamped with bindweed (for the umpteenth year in a row I'd say, by the amount of the bloody stuff there is up there!).

Which brings me on to ... how do I prune the bushes and when?

Good idea Vanessa. The cordon idea might be possible. We've got a very weary (and seems to be non-flowering) honeysuckle growing rampantly against the fence between us and neighbours, perhaps it's time for it to be replaced with something that produces an edible crop. I guess autumn would be the time to plant new fruit bushes?

EV

Vanessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that'd be best. The only time I planted gooseberries in a garden, I did cordons because of lack of space; did the same with red currants, too, and got bumper crops from them!

Katieowl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked three pounds of strawberries from out raised bed this morning...it's the biggest strawberry harvest we've EVER had!!!

And that's despite me discovering an unusal strawberry thief yesterday. Her name is Mattie We watched as she walked up to a nice ripe one, sniffed it, licked it, sunk her teeth into it to make sure it was ripe enough and then delicately bit it off the stalk - and NOMMED it!! She's a Staffordshire Strawberry Terror!

I've made a huge flan for tea, using the less than perfect ones. With a base of custard, and a glaze of Strawberry Jam, Cranberry sauce, and two squares of strawberry jelly!

Kate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive