Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Companion planting for blackfly - at it's best!!

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 10 1:35 am    Post subject: Companion planting for blackfly - at it's best!! Reply with quote

I've mentioned this somewhere else so hope you don't mind if I repeat myself, it's just that this summer, due to my pi$$ poor weeding skills, mother Nature has provided, and I thought fellow bean growers should know.

I planted sacrificial nasturtiums alongside my broad beans this year. In the neighbouring potato patch(18" away), a lone cow parsley poked its head up. Said cow parsley got left alone, and is now COVERED head to foot in blackfly, the broad beans are aphid free, and so are the (edible) nasturtiums. Result! Thanks, Mother Nature

astra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 10 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got nasturtiums in with my broad beans but the blackfly are only on the beans. I shall try a few cow parsley plants next year

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 10 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you pinched out the tips of the plants Astra? The blackfly seem to prefer that bit.

zigs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 10 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've planted nasturtiums but fortunatly not broad beans, which are the devils vegetable along with cucumbers. Only a slight fly prob on the welsh beans so far.

toggle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 10 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully, I've not seen black fly anywhere at all this year.

zigs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 10 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post you a couple

astra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 10 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:
Have you pinched out the tips of the plants Astra? The blackfly seem to prefer that bit.

Yes nettie I did they didn't arrive til after I'd done that bit. Sprayed all the little b....'s several times in very soapy water and hopefully that seems to be keeping them under control. Hate killing stuff though, wish the birds would eat them rather than the ants using them as milch cows!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive