About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
where can I learn to fish?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 10 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.......I dont live my the sea so I guess it would have to be fresh water fishing but can you catch fish to eat that way?And is it cost effective? I think I would prefer sea fishing if possible. Umm, do I have to have maggots?
Pam

Cathryn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 10 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and read some books or go on a fishing forum. Get some basic ideas and take it from there.

Trout are delicious freshwater fish and there are others but fly fishing is not cost effective. It's a pleasure and a hobby and will provide you with the occasional delicious supper. Mind you, you could go to one of those places where you fish from specially stocked lakes.

zigs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 10 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Course (rivers & stillwaters) fishing involves rod licences & joining angling clubs (there are very few free to fish rivers in the uk, nearest one i can think of near to you is salisbury) There is also a closed season, ending on june 15.

If you can get down to bognor or similar, there is no closed season for sea fishing and you dont need a licence. Get a copy of total sea fishing mag, theres usfull stuff for beginers in it.

https://www.totalseamagazine.com/Home/

Have a look at Anglers net forums too, there are sections on Sea, Course, Kayak fishing, etc.

https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/forums.html

If you want to get into sea fishing, i can talk you thru what you'll need & what to do if you want.

zigs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 10 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need maggots for sea fishing

Found a bit of free to fish river nearer to you, here;

https://www.dofreefishing.com/thamesnortheast.html

Boris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 10 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the merits of sea fishing win my vote, particularly the lack of maggots

Boris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 10 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freefishing site was useful, thanks

zigs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 10 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about an hour from the sea, but i try to get down regularly.

There is a tackle shop in Bognor, if you can get yourself down there & tell them you're a newbie, they'll sort you out. You can usually get a rod/reel combination for around £20. Probably best to start with ready made rigs (the bit with the hook on) & some 4oz leads. Mainline of 15lb breaking strain is fine for summer. You'll need a shock leader to tie to the end of your mainline, the last 8 yards or so. This is to take the strain of casting the lead, 10lb breaking strain for every oz of lead, so if using a 4oz lead you need 40lbs bs shock leader. Bait can be ragworm, mackerell,squid, prawns, crabs etc.

zigs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 10 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if that sounds to complex, you could start off with a spinning rod & a lure called a dexter wedge, which only involves casting the lure out & retrieving.

Fish like mackerell, bass, scad & pollack will take the lure. A pair of forceps for removing the hook would be usefull. Also a "priest" for knocking the fish on the head.

You will need a tape measure & a minimum size list.

If fishing in summer, a bucket of iced water, mackerell will go off very quickly on a hot beach. Or you could bury them till you leave.
Have a look at my thread on returning mackerell safely
https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Mackerel-fishing-t73303.html

Boris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 10 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you but how do you know how and where to cast the line out! I mean, you have to have some idea where to put it and where the fish are!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 10 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris wrote:
Thank you but how do you know how and where to cast the line out! I mean, you have to have some idea where to put it and where the fish are!

That's not my experience of fishing

sako

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 10 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea fishing is the way to go, and most anglers will be more than willing to offer help.
Best time to go is after the beach lovers have gone home, that is when the beach casting sea fishermen crawl out from under the rocks!
Cheers
Richard

zigs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 10 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. You'll need to check the tide times before you set out,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/tides/tides.shtml?date=20100616&loc=0073

The tides change over 2 weeks from spring tides to neap tides, neaps are when there is little difference between high and low, but springs are very different. if you went to bognor on a low spring tide the sea will be miles away.

Best to fish an incoming spring tide, you only need to cast 20-50 yards, the bass are usually around the second breaking wave out. Mackerell will be around that distance too. As Sako said, find another angler to show you how to cast. Its not hard, i taught meself, just took a bit of practicing.

king rat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 10 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Mytchett I am about 3 miles from you, I regularly sea and coarse fish and would be hapy to lend a hand. I have a boat on the south coast and a glut of fish. Give me a pm and I would be happy to help

murdrobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 10 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anyone in the northwest (around blackburn, lancashire) that would be able to give me some advice and guidance on fishing, i think it would mainly be sea fishing i would like to learn.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 10 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murdrobe wrote:
is there anyone in the northwest (around blackburn, lancashire) that would be able to give me some advice and guidance on fishing, i think it would mainly be sea fishing i would like to learn.

Ditto for Yorkshire. My daughter is very keen to go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive