Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
puppy sitting

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 22 2:44 pm    Post subject: puppy sitting Reply with quote

the ting is a baggage, perfect, she responds well to direction suited to her nature

her mind melted when she saw birds and mice near me, when she was over excited by interacting with chompski she started to learn lean in

this has promise as a stealth mutt, not sure i should teach her too much as she is not mine nor do i need a stealth mutt (ooh, well... )

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 22 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This the Basenji?

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 22 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep

more than a hint of saluki, quite a lot of "wee ginger thing"

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 22 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reasons which aren't entirely clear I *really* wanted to own one when I was a kid. Never got round to it, probably won't now.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 22 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how odd, i admired them in a book of dogs when i was a nipper and have always rather liked them

probably not a good choice of first dog or with kids who are not extremely dogwise
a very good choice of small houndyterrier if you have the time and experience to direct it from a pup and bring it up well

saluki and terrier combined is a little challenging to direct to become a charming, useful and well-behaved mutt, this one responds well to good training and will instantly take advantage of poor direction or weakness or offence from less than diplomatic refusal to treat the beast as royalty at all times

for an off the shelf "pet" there are probably better options, for some roles they would be super with the right combo of mutt and person and role

i might consider one if i was still doing the sort of stuff they are good at, as a house pet i recon they might get bored rather too easily and decide to do "things" you may not like, with lots of good direction and distraction they might be happy to have an easy pampered life
it seems they might be happiest with a sneaky rufty tufty sort of "job" and a nice warm sofa when not working

like all breeds they are all individuals and what you end up with will be a mix of nature and nurture

as breeds go i give em
8/10 for smallish stealth hunter and charm artist
6/10 for biddable, rising to 8/10 when they start to respect your training
5/10 for mind meld, that might rise a lot with practice, very saluki, very yellow hell hound once we tuned in
9/10 for intelligence
low allergy if you are allergic to critters
they eat a lot less than a 45kg wolf or a 35kg salukixgrey
afaik the "breed standard" has not ruined their health, although there are considerable differences between different breed lines
they need direction

a well raised pup is a training challenge, a rescue would have extra baggage, but if it happened i would take one in

overall, better than yer average mutt but a full time fairly active/resting partnership rather than a "sunday dog" or "family pet"

i like em, there are a few round here, a mixed bunch but so are the "owners"

you know you want to

Shane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 22 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salukis are extremely skittish, nervous dogs that need a lot of patience to train, but they do eventually respond well to an assertive master. Awkward-looking and gangly around the house and garden, they look magnificent when off the leash and in full flight.

They often respond to petting by leaning on you, which is rather endearing.

I still miss our thoroughbred rescued racer, who died far too early.
Current rescue saluki mix is a character in her own right - took a while to settle in and to grow on us, but now an integral member of the family.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 22 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does take a while for a saluki to train her new slave

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 22 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a saluki temper very different to a greyhound / whippet type then?

(the current occupant of the space around my feet is not going anywhere but I do have a soft spot for whippets with eyeliner)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive