Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
replacement taps

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 20 9:45 pm    Post subject: replacement taps Reply with quote

over the years i have probably got to three figures on the number i have done, this one needed a lot a swearing and discomfort

even though i had installed the pipe carcase quite well when i fixed up the kitchen we did not replace the tap which had now reached the end of its useful life and had a drip/ooze that could not be fixed(ceramic discs worn out)

so we got a new one, it should have been easy but getting into position to fit it was one issue, it hurts a lot nowadays

we have a rather chunky ceramic sink with not a lot of space behind it, the flexible tails were 100mm longer than the stiff originals so i needed to remove the inline stop valves to shorten the feed pipes which was not fun as the next pair in the lines were just out of reach for direct and behind the sinkbase

when i eventually got it done i looked at the tools in my basket and reckoned it took quite an expensive kit of the correct ones and it definitely took a fair bit of experience to get everything securely in place and working

many replacement taps need little more than a couple of suitable wrenches, this needed that, a shortish box spanner, alligator socket on a multi angle small ratchet wrench, proper circular pipe cutter , hole saw etc

if you are considering such a job check carefully what will be involved and if you have that go for it, but expect to find the inevitable problems and be capable of dealing with them

that one would have had most full time plumbers cursing unless they were working on a time involved basis rather than a fixed price

the first casualty is the plan, how well you can adapt is what determines the result

it now in place, working and the water is only when and where it should be

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring up repressed memories of the morons we had fitting our Kitchen in Swindon. Forever having to take things apart again as they had boxed in the valves. I say forever but I think I mean twice it was a comedy of errors except for the lack of laughter.
It should not take almost a month at a fixed price to do a kitchen.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty with ceramic discs in taps. At least the old ones you could just change the washer.

Reminds me of a slightly different repair MIL tried to do on her toilet. Without turning off the water feed (which needed a screwdriver or as she often used, an old kitchen knife), she tried to adjust the water level in the cistern. It wasn't a ball valve, but one of the newer type, and it came off in her hand. She called SIL to help as the water was hitting the ceiling. SIL turned off water which at least stopped the flood, and called my husband. When we arrived, MIL was in her dressing gown looking like a drowned rat, and while husband sorted out the toilet cistern, I tried to make MIL understand that she needed to get one of us to sort out repairs and she mustn't try to do them herself any more. At the time MIL was about 90 and with very poor eyesight which glasses wouldn't help. Luckily it did shock her into behaving herself fairly well after that.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Bring up repressed memories of the morons we had fitting our Kitchen in Swindon. Forever having to take things apart again as they had boxed in the valves. I say forever but I think I mean twice it was a comedy of errors except for the lack of laughter.
It should not take almost a month at a fixed price to do a kitchen.

there are several inline valves, but there is only cold feed to the dishwasher, i did not fancy moving the washing machine(see bad knee, back and mashed shoulder)

i could have got to the mains stopcock but not having water for the duration would have been awkward

the previous plumbing in kitchen and bathroom was valve free

the reason the secondary ones (for just this occasion) were behind the leg of the sink unit as my original choice of position was rejected and the sink had to move over 100mm to give space for the nice new bin
i wanted it at the other end beside the washer and had measured up for our old bin

re fitters and kitchens, the one who had previously done tt's left 5 lethal and about 15 major faults in the electrics as well as multiple plumbing and drainage issues

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 20 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly kitchen fitters have generally done only a 'conversion course' of a few weeks to learn how to do the electrics and plumbing, although I am sure there are some honourable exceptions. Husband has found a few nasties in sons flat and now bungalow caused by them. Husband did over 4 years apprenticeship as an electrical fitter, so works to higher standards, although not with all the current right certificates, so has to get things checked officially. As part of the course was pipework (for conduit) his plumbing skills tend to be higher than average too. All our taps have valves under them so they can be isolated for work or changing. Saves a lot of trouble.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 20 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline valves are ace until you need to move them for a replacement tap or whatever

tails too short is ok most times just add the missing section, tails too long and a slight change of layout halfway through fitting out a few years ago which put the next inline valves behind a 2" x 2" leg was my issue

oh well, tis in, working and most of the aches have gone

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 20 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a problem. Glad you got it and yourself sorted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive